Catalog 2015-2016

ADA Accommodations

Students seeking accommodations in accord with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) shall contact Academic Planning at 505-2954 to make an appointment and begin the review process. 

Hendrix College endeavors to create an atmosphere in which diversity and individual rights of each member of the college community are respected.  Students with disabilities have met the same rigorous admission standards as all other students.  Some enter college aware of their problems and needs, while others discover them as they become engaged in the academic and social endeavors of college life. All Hendrix students are expected to uphold the College’s Code of Conduct regardless of condition or disability. Consequences for violating academic policy or the Code of Conduct will be applied equally to all students. 

Hendrix College is committed to providing “reasonable accommodation,” in keeping with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1992.  Students requesting accommodations should contact the office of Academic Advising and Academic Success at (501) 505-2954 or to make an appointment and begin the review process. 

Students requesting accommodations must provide appropriate documentation of the disability, which should include a diagnostic assessment and a recommendation report prepared by a qualified professional outside Hendrix College.  “Reasonable accommodation” will be determined on an individual basis by College staff in consultation with the student, faculty and/or staff member.  Accommodations are not retroactive. 

Procedures for securing accommodations: 

     Step 1. Students should meet with the Director of Academic Success to schedule an intake session.  Information pertinent to their coursework and academic performance will be discussed, and supporting documentation may be reviewed at that time. 

     Step 2. Students must provide appropriate documentation (diagnostic assessment and recommendation report) to proceed further with accommodation requests. Additional documentation may be requested by the College. Eligible students may apply for limited financial assistance for testing.  Details and application for assistance are available through the Director of Academic Success. 

     Step 3. Following review of the documentation, accommodations may be recommended and communicated to the students’ professors confidentially. 

     Step 4. It is the students’ responsibility to discuss accommodation needs with individual instructors on an ongoing basis, including testing and out-of-class assignments.   

Verification of Learning Disorder 

A student requesting accommodations for a learning disorder must provide assessment results completed by a licensed professional.  The assessment must include an evaluation of the individual’s present level of processing information and present achievement level.  The assessment should also provide relevant data to aid in determining a need for academic accommodations. 

Accommodations and Resources 

Accommodations, as determined on an individual case-by-case basis, may include such things as: 

  • Note takers 
  • Textbooks in alternate format 
  • Tutors 
  • Extended time on tests 
  • Test environment with fewer distractions 
  • A reader during exams 
  • A scribe to write dictated test answers 
  • A computer for writing test answers 

Other accommodations may be established on an individual basis in consultation with the student, counselor, faculty and/or staff, and others as needed. 

A number of resources are available to support a student’s success at Hendrix, including academic tutoring, career services, counseling services, computer services, instructional media resources/facilities, library facilities and the Writing Center. 

Students who believe that they have not received adequate or appropriate accommodation in an academic matter or faculty who are not satisfied with the proposed accommodations are encouraged to consult with Julie Brown, Director of Academic Success, (501- 505-2954).  Should this consultation not produce the desired results, the concern may be taken to the Provost of the College.  In case of a non-academic matter, the Dean of Students should be contacted.

Question about the Catalog?