Graduation With Distinction
The Bachelor of Arts with Distinction in _________ (a department or program) is conferred upon those graduating seniors who fulfill criteria determined by the department or program. In determining requirements for distinction, a department or program considers such criteria as the following:
- overall grade point average;
- grade point average in courses required by the department;
- grade on a comprehensive examination;
- independent project(s);
- recommendation from faculty in department or program;
- some evidence of collegiate breadth such as
- grade point average on courses outside the major,
- grade point average in the Collegiate Center,
- course distribution,
- recommendation from faculty member(s) outside the major,
- papers done in departments other than the major,
- extracurricular activities, and
- other evidence deserving consideration.
- departmental interview open to all faculty;
- other appropriate criteria as the department determines.
The department or program reviews and evaluates the achievements of senior majors. Selection of students for graduation with Distinction is made by the department or program after evaluation of all available information.
The achievement of Distinction does not preclude graduation with collegiate Honors. For example, a student may graduate with a designation such as the following "Bachelor of Arts Cum Laude, with Distinction in Biology."
Next: Graduation with Honors
Academic Calendar | Courses and Units | Course Load | Classification of Students | Grades, Grade Point Average, and Earned Credit | Academic Status | Academic Honesty | Academic Grievances | Schedule Changes | Withdrawal from the College | Leave of Absence | Study Abroad Status | Courses Taken For Credit Only | Activity Course Credits | Transfer Credits | Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate Credit | Credit Based on Departmental Placement Policy | College Level Examination Program (CLEP) | Academic Records-Transcript of Record | Academic Records-Transcript Request | Application for Graduation and Commencement | Graduation with Distinction | Graduation with Honors | Phi Beta Kappa | Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act