Academic Affairs

Courses Taken for Credit Only

Courses Taken For Credit Only
To encourage selection of a broader range of courses, Hendrix permits students to take one course per year on a credit only basis during their sophomore, junior, and senior years. In place of the letter grade of C or better, the student will receive the designation of CR. In place of the letter grade of D or F, the student will receive the designation of NC. Courses taken for credit only must be at the 200 level or above. Courses taken for credit only at Hendrix must be outside the student's major or minor. Moreover, because of the centrality of the Learning Domain requirements to the liberal arts curriculum, these credit only courses may not be used to complete Learning Domain requirements. The maximum number of credit only courses counted toward graduation will be three. Intention to take a course under this option must be declared within the first two weeks of the semester at the Office of the Registrar. A student may request that the CR designation be changed to the letter grade reported by the instructor if the course is later used to fulfill a major, minor, or Learning Domain requirement in existence at the beginning of the student's senior year. Courses typically assigned a grade of CR, such as Propylaea, Physical Activity classes, senior seminars, and some internships, will not count toward a student's limit of three credit only courses. This policy also does not apply to graded music activity classes.

Next: Activity Course Credits

Academic Calendar | Courses and Units | Course Load | Classification of Students | Grades, Grade Point Average, and Earned Credit | Academic Status | Academic Honesty | Academic Grievances | Schedule Changes | Withdrawal from the College | Leave of Absence | Study Abroad Status | Courses Taken For Credit Only | Activity Course Credits | Transfer Credits | Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate Credit | Credit Based on Departmental Placement Policy | College Level Examination Program (CLEP) | Academic Records-Transcript of Record | Academic Records-Transcript Request | Application for Graduation and Commencement | Graduation with Distinction | Graduation with Honors | Phi Beta Kappa | Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act