Academic Affairs

Grades, Grade Point Average, and Earned Credits

Grades, Grade Point Average, and Earned Credits

Grading System. The grading system and associated grade points per whole credit are as follows:

A = 4 (excellent)
= 3 (good)
= 2 (satisfactory)
= 1 (poor)
= 0 (failing)
= 0 (credit, passed at a minimum level of C)
NC = 0 (no credit for a course taken for credit only)
= 0 (incomplete)
= 0 (no report)
= 0 (withdrawn)

At the conclusion of each semester, all courses are awarded a grade, a GPA credit, and a degree credit.

A GPA credit indicates the weighting factor assigned to a grade for use in the grade point average computation. A grade of A, B, C, D, F or NC may be assigned a GPA credit of 0, 1/4, 1/2, or 1, depending on the course. (Most Hendrix courses carry a GPA weight of 1. Study abroad credits, however, typically carry a GPA weight of 0, unless Hendrix is the originating institution for the grades. Currently Hendrix is the originating institution for the Hendrix-in-Oxford and Hendrix-in-London programs. Applied music and physical activity classes typically carry GPA weights of 1/4 or 1/2.) A grade of CR, I, NR, or W will always be assigned a GPA credit of 0. To compute the grade point average, multiply each grade by its assigned GPA credit, sum the results, and divide by the sum of the GPA credits.

A degree credit indicates whether or not the received grade will be assigned an earned credit towards graduation. A grade of A, B, C, D or CR may be assigned a degree credit of 0 or 1, depending on the course. A grade of F, NC, I, NR, or W will be assigned a degree credit of 0. To compute the number of earned graduation credits, sum the total number of degree credits.

Grade I (Incomplete).The grade of I, or Incomplete, is assigned when a student, for reasons beyond her or his control, is unable to complete requirements of a course by the end of the semester. When an Incomplete grade is reported by an instructor, a form entitled "Report On Incomplete Grade" must be submitted by the instructor to the Registrar. This report stipulates the conditions and the deadline date that must be met for the removal of the Incomplete. Incomplete grades should be resolved by the conclusion of the following semester and may not extend beyond a calendar year. (The calendar year begins at the end of the semester in which the grade of Incomplete is assigned.) The student and the advisor will receive copies of this report. Removal of the Incomplete and the assigning of the course grade by the instructor occur once the student has successfully completed the remaining course requirements. The Incomplete grade will revert to the grade specified on the "Report on Incomplete Grade" form if the requirements are not met by the specified deadline date.

Grade NR (No Report). The NR grade is a temporary one and indicates that due to circumstances beyond the control of the student the Office of the Registrar did not receive the grade. The NR grade should be replaced by a letter grade as soon as possible and/or no later than graduation.

Repeating a Course. A student may repeat a course for which a grade already exists on the transcript. When a course is repeated at Hendrix, the highest earned grade is factored into the Hendrix grade point average and the course is designated with an R on the transcript. The lower grades are not factored into the Hendrix grade point calculation but remain on the Hendrix transcript and are designated with an asterisk (*). A repeat grade of CR will only be considered higher than grades of D, F, NC, and W. Repeated courses may be counted only once toward earned degree credits.

Next: Academic Status

Academic Calendar | Courses and Units | Course Load | Classification of Students | Grades, Grade Point Average, and Earned Credit | Academic Status | Academic Honesty | Academic Grievances | Schedule Changes | Withdrawal from the College | Leave of Absence | Study Abroad Status | Courses Taken For Credit Only | Activity Course Credits | Transfer Credits | Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate Credit | Credit Based on Departmental Placement Policy | College Level Examination Program (CLEP) | Academic Records-Transcript of Record | Academic Records-Transcript Request | Application for Graduation and Commencement | Graduation with Distinction | Graduation with Honors | Phi Beta Kappa | Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act