An Immersion of Chinese language and culture will be offered in the Summer of 2021.
The China Summer Language Institute in Shanghai is a Hendrix-Murphy Foundation program coordinated by Dr. Liu in conjunction with the Confucius Institute at UCA and East China Normal University in Shanghai, China. The program is intended for students who have completed at least one semester of college-level Chinese.
The program consists of five weeks of intensive Chinese language classes. All courses are Chinese language courses taught by faculty members from the East China Normal University. Students earn two credits in five weeks. The program takes place from late May to the end of June.
Participants with a “C” or better in Shanghai courses will receive two Hendrix course credits and a Global Awareness Odyssey credit (upon completion of the normal Odyssey requirements). Under regular circumstances, only one of the two credits will count towards a Chinese minor. Please note that completion of the program does not fulfill the FL capacity for graduation.
* Five week of Chinese language courses
* Trip to Hangzhou
* Trip to Suzhou
* Dragon Boat Festival
* Themed cultural visits of Shanghai (The Bund, Shanghai Museum, etc.)
* Afternoon language/cultural activities (such as movies and karaoke)
* Students also have the option of staying in China for extra days at their own expense to visit famous cities like Beijing
* Round-trip airfare: approximately $1,500 - $1800
* China VISA: $140
* Passport photos: $30
* Pocket money: approx. $1000
* Travel to/from the airport
Eight students accepted into the program receive full scholarships covering the Shanghai Languages tuition plus room and board as well as a stipend for meals and weekend travel.
1. Students interested in the China Summer Language Institute should apply to the Office of International Programs by: November 2020 (for Summer 2021 Program).
2. Once approved by the Hendrix International/Intercultural Studies Committee (usually by Thanksgiving), students will apply to the China Summer Language Institute through Dr. Wenjia Liu, who will be coordinating the program in Summer 2021. Each student will be asked to present a letter of intention and two letters of reference.
3. Notification of acceptance into the China Summer Language Institute will be made in late December 2020.