An immersive and intensive month studying French language and culture.
Hendrix-in-Tours (France) is a Hendrix-Murphy Foundation program coordinated by French Professor Dr. Cathy Jellenik in association with Tours Langues, a language institute in the Loire Valley of France. The program is intended for students who have completed the equivalent of between two and four semesters of college-level French, but applications from beginners may also be accepted.
The program takes place during the month of July.
- Orientation at beginning of program
- Home-stay with French families for duration of program
- Weekend in Paris
- Visit to several châteaux (one by bike)
- Cooking classes
- Trip to Mont St. Michel
- Tour of a vineyard
- Trip to the walled city of St. Malo
- Garlic festival
- Themed cultural visits of Tours (e.g. Roman ruins)
- Optional excursions are also available for students at reasonable prices
Students earn two credits in four weeks: one credit of language study at Tours Langues, and one credit of cultural studies and engaged learning with Dr. Jellenik.
Participants with a “C” or better in both Tours courses will receive two Hendrix course credits and a Global Awareness Odyssey credit (upon completion of the normal Odyssey requirements). Under regular circumstances, only one of the two courses will count towards a French major or minor, and the other will count as an elective. Please note that completion of the program does not necessarily fulfill the LA capacity for graduation.
The 8 students accepted into the program receive full funding covering Tours Langues tuition plus room and board, as well as a stipend for lunches and weekend travel. Student costs include:
- $300 participation fee (paid to the Hendrix-Murphy Foundation)
- Round-trip airfare: approximately $1,500 (through discount websites or agents)
- Four passport photos: $30
- Pocket money
The estimated cost per student will run around $1,830, excluding personal spending money.
The Hendrix-Murphy Foundation has a small discretionary fund to help students in financial need meet the out-of-pocket expenses for summer programs. As a rule of thumb, if you are Pell eligible you may qualify for this assistance. Please contact Sarah Engeler-Young at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How to Apply
- Students interested in the Hendrix-in-Tours program should apply to the Office of International Programs by the regular study abroad deadline, which is Monday, November 8, 2021.
- Once approved by the Hendrix International/Intercultural Studies Committee, students will apply to Hendrix-in-Tours through Dr. Cathy Jellenik, who will be coordinating the program in Summer 2022. Each student will be asked to present a letter of intention and three letters of reference.
- Notification of acceptance into the Hendrix-in-Tours program will be made early in late December 2021 or early 2022.