Planning Your Trip to the United States
Before You Leave
- Email official, scanned copies of the following to email@example.com:
- A copy of the identification page(s) of your passport
- Proof of Funding
- Affidavit of Financial Resources
- Sponsor’s official bank statement or letter from the bank proving sufficient funds to cover your first year at Hendrix (as outlined in your Cost of Attendance letter)
- I-901 SEVIS Fee
- As soon as you receive your I-20, pay the I-901 SEVIS fee online.
- Print and keep your receipt (I-901) for your visa application interview.
- Visa Application
- Next, apply for a visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the United States. Before following the below instructions, visit this website and thoroughly read the instructions.
- Complete the online application for a non-immigrant visa,
- After completing application, print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview.
- Upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. Your photo must be in the format explained in
- Pay the visa application fee following the instructions on the website of the
U.S. embassy or consulate nearest you.
- Schedule an interview at the
U.S. embassy or consulate nearest you following instructions on the embassy/consulate website.
- Prepare for your interview.
- Gather required documents:
- Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months after your period of stay in the U.S.)
- DS-160 application confirmation page
- Visa application fee receipt
- Photo (bring an extra copy in case the upload failed)
- Original Form I-20 issued by Hendrix College and signed by Rebekah Nelson (Hendrix DSO) and yourself
- Proof of Finances (same document you gave Admissions upon acceptance)
- Proof of Academic Status (a copy of the electronic letter of acceptance to Hendrix that you received via email)
- Any additional documentation as listed on the
U.S. embassy or consulate website
- At your interview, prepare to briefly explain the following in clear English:
- Why you chose Hendrix College
- For example: small classes, Biology program, etc.
- Describe your future career plans after you return home and explain how studying at Hendrix will contribute to those goals.
- IMPORTANT: Remember to emphasize in the interview that you will be returning home after the completion of your studies!
- Important information
- You will be applying for a nonimmigrant visa.
- The type of visa is an F-1 Student Visa
- You will use the number on your I-20 to apply for the visa.
- Helpful websites:
- Book flight to Little Rock, Arkansas (Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport)
- Arrival Date: Wednesday, August 10, 2022
- If you decide to come earlier, remember that you cannot legally arrive more than 30 days prior to the first day of classes (August 23).
- We will not provide housing and food until the date of arrival.
- International Student Orientation: August 11-15, 2022
- New Student Orientation: August 16-22, 2022
- Fall Academic Classes Begin: August 23, 2022
- Vaccinations and Health Forms
- Required Vaccinations
- Must be completed within the first 30 days of student’s arrival to Hendrix.
- Recommended: Complete MMR and Meningitis before arriving to the U.S.
- MMR (measles Mumps and rubella):
- Students are required to have 2 doses of MMR. (There is a minimal interval of 30 days between the two doses). If this requirement is not met (or at least in process) within 30 days of starting class, you will have to leave campus.
- Meningococcal Meningitis
- Hendrix College requires students to be immunized against meningitis. If the student chooses not to be immunized, a waiver must be completed. The waiver is available at Health Services.
- Tuberculosis (TB) Test
- Required Documents
- Complete the following forms:
- Student Health Information Questionnaire
- Tuberculosis Risk Assessment
- Certificate of Immunization (or Copy of your Official Immunization Record)
- Scan and send these three forms to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Notification of payment due: Notification will be sent to your Hendrix e-mail account when your billing statement is ready to be viewed. All billing statements are retrieved online via CampusWeb (paper copies are not mailed). Please complete your payment by the stated due date.
- Payment Options
- Please follow the instructions sent to you by Chris Simon.
- Easy option for international student payment: follow the instructions at www.paymytution.com.
- If you have questions, please contact Chris Simon at email@example.com.
- Your Bill Includes:
- Tuition, Fees, Room and Board
- Scholarship tax (if applicable)
- Health Insurance
- All Hendrix College students are required by U.S. law to have health insurance, through a family employee plan, a private insurer or the quality plan offered by the College. The school plan is serviced by LewerMark and underwritten by the International Medical Group (IMG). You may choose to find another health insurance provider, but Hendrix cannot help you with this process.
7. What to Pack
- Weather in Central Arkansas
Please visit our
Climate page for more information.
- Summer – hot and humid
- Winter – can get cold
- Specific Items
| Clothing and Outerwear
|| Medicine, Toiletries
and Other Essentials |
- Socks, underwear, bras
- Shorts, pants, skirts
- Long and short sleeve shirts
- Sweaters, sweatshirts
- Workout clothes
- Bathing suit
- Sleepwear: pajamas, bathrobe, slippers
- Prescription medicines
*You may be unable to get prescriptions written
by your home doctor filled in the United States. Typically, you will
need to be examined by a physician in the United States and issued a new
prescription. If you have a chronic medical condition requiring regular
medication, please contact Student Health Services before arrival to make arrangements.
- Official Immunization Record
- 1 pair of work out shoes (gym facilities, walking & hiking trails available)
- 1 alternate pair of shoes
- 1 pair flip-flops or shower shoes
- Pair of waterproof boots or shoes
- Eyeglasses and/or contact lenses (& supplies)
- Laptop computer
- Phone, iPad or other electronic items
- Adapter (if necessary)
- Toiletries (optional – easy to buy in U.S.)
| Jackets/Outer gear:
- Lightweight jacket
- Medium-weight jacket
- Winter hat, gloves/mittens, scarf
| Optional (Easy to buy in U.S.)
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, deodorant, moisturizers, cosmetics, sanitary products, soap
Day of Travel to the U.S
It is important that you keep your most valuable items with you on the plane. We recommend cash, credit cards and travelers checks be carried in a discreet money belt.
Important Documents & Carry-on Items:
- Airline ticket(s) for your flight to Little Rock
- Money (US dollars & traveler’s checks)
- Credit or debit card(s)
- Passport, valid for at least six months into the future, with valid F-1 or J-1 visa stamp inside
- Form I-20
- Your Hendrix admissions letter and proof of financial support
- Receipt for paying I-901 SEVIS fee
- Name and contact information of your Designated School Official (DSO)
- Any prescription medications that you need to bring, with the written
prescriptions from your doctor
- One complete change of clothing and toiletries, in the event that your checked luggage is delayed
- Your driver's license and a translation, or "international driver's license," if you intend to drive
Port of Entry
When you first arrive in the United States (at your port of entry – usually the first airport that is on U.S. soil), you will need to provide the following documents:
- Visa stamp (if applicable, located in your passport)
- SEVIS form I-20 (F-1) [original signed document we sent to you – NOT a copy]
- SEVIS fee receipt (Form I-901)
- Supporting financial documentation
A U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer will place an admission stamp in your passport and will then write the visa status you were given (F-1 or J-1) and the expiration date. For students with F-1 or J-1 status, the expiration is noted with “D/S” which stands for duration of status. Please check to make sure the CBP officer puts the correct status and expiration date down. When you enter the country, an electronic record of your admission, known as the I-94, will also be created. You can find a copy of this record by visiting:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/. In case you have any problems during this inspection, have the number of your DSO available.
Little Rock International Airport & Hendrix College Campus
Please send your itinerary (or other arrival information) to Rebekah Nelson, firstname.lastname@example.org, as soon as it is arranged. The Office of International Programs will arrange an airport pick-up for you and bring you directly to your Hendrix dorm room.
When you arrive to the Hendrix Campus, you should have your DSO make a copy of the front pages of your passport and CBP stamp (I-94 information) in your passport.
Remember that it is important to report to your school as soon as possible after arriving in the United States.