Marshall T. Steel Center for the Study of Religion and Philosophy is
named for Dr. Marshall T. Steel, distinguished alumnus and President of
the College from 1958 to 1969. The Steel Center was made possible by a
bequest from Mrs. Ruth Veasey of Dermott, Arkansas. The purpose of the
Steel Center is the enhancement of the College’s capacities in the
fields of religion and philosophy. It does this by sponsoring lectures
throughout the year by notable speakers from throughout the nation; by
offering workshops on philosophy of religion, theology, and related
topics. In addition, the Steel Center offers opportunities
for continuing education for clergy and laity in the region by
sponsoring the annual Steel-Hendrix lecture and awards ceremony. Dr.
James Dow, Associate Professor of Philosophy, 450-1528, serves as director.