Faculty Handbook 2022-2023

F.1.a. Academic Grievances and Appeals

A student who has an academic grievance should discuss the concern with the classroom teacher in charge of the course in which the concern has arisen. If a mutually satisfactory resolution is not reached, the student should confer with the student's academic advisor and should take the matter to the relevant department chair. If no resolution occurs at this level or if the department chair is the classroom teacher in question in the first instance, then the student should take the concern to the relevant area chair. Concerns remaining unresolved at this level should be taken to the Provost. Students shall take all concerns regarding graduation requirements and their fulfillment to the Registrar.

Academic Appeals

A student who wishes to appeal a policy or decision by the Office of Academic Affairs concerning interpretations of, or exceptions to, rules, procedures or decisions governing registration in courses and the management of academic records must make that appeal to the Committee on Academic Appeals. Examples of such appeals would include an appeal to drop a course with no mark after the no mark deadline or an appeal to withdraw from a course with a W after the W deadline.

To pursue such an appeal, the student should submit a formal petition in writing to the Registrar. This appeal should state the specific request being made and include some explanation of the situation relating to the request. The Registrar forwards the student’s petition to the Committee on Academic Appeals, which reviews and rules on the appeal. The Committee notifies the student of the decision. Committee decisions are final.