The course planning advice here is limited to completing this major which is just one piece of the overall Hendrix College degree requirements. For a full description of degree requirements see the Catalog.
Where should I start if I am just sampling this subject as a non-major?
- Concepts of Chemistry (CHEM 100) or Chemistry of the Environment (CHEM 101).
- General Chemistry I (CHEM 110) might be appropriate for some interested students and necessary for some majors. Please check with your advisor.
Where should I start if I might use this as part of a major or as a potential major?
Students considering a major in Chemistry typically complete the following in the first-year through coursework or advanced placement credits.
- General Chemistry I (CHEM 110) and General Chemistry II (CHEM 120);
- Calculus I (MATH 130) and usually Calculus II (MATH 140), some students delay Calculus II (MATH 140) until the second year.
- First-year student are strongly encouraged to limit themselves to 2 science / mathematics courses per semester (3 - 4 science/mathematics courses during the first year).
- Success in the General Chemistry I (CHEM 110) and General Chemistry II (CHEM 120) is highly correlated with algebra skills. If your MATH ACT is 23 or below, strongly consider delaying General Chemistry I (CHEM 110) for a year. Data shows that some additional math experience and experience in college greatly improves the likelihood of a positive outcome. Please consult your Academic Advisor or a member of the Chemistry Department.
Where should I start if I have some experience in this discipline before college?
- For AP or IB credits – please refer to
Advanced Placement Credits or
International Baccalaureate Credits” in the College Catalog.
- Students with an AP Chem score of 3 should start in General Chemistry I (CHEM 110).
- Students with an AP Chem score of 4 or better should start in General Chemistry II (CHEM 120). Please consult with the department chair or a General Chemistry II (CHEM 120) instructor.
- For concurrent high school / college credits – please consult with the Department.
When should I declare a major?
- All students must declare a major by March 1st of their sophomore year.