Course Planning

Chemical Physics - Where to Start?

The course planning advice here is limited to completing this major which is just one piece of the overall Hendrix College degree requirements.  For a full description of degree requirements see the Catalog.

Where should I start if I am just sampling this subject as a non-major?

  • The Chemical Physics major serves students whose interests overlap with both Chemistry (CHEM) and Physics (PHYS). Students should choose an appropriate introductory course in either Chemistry or Physics.  Please consult those course planning pages for appropriate suggestions.

Where should I start if I might use this as part of a major or as a potential major?

    First Year students should complete the following two 2-course sequences through coursework or advanced placement credits:

  • Chemistry I (CHEM 110) followed by Chemistry II (CHEM 120); 
  • Calculus I (MATH 130) followed by Calculus II (MATH 140).

Where should I start if I have some experience in this discipline before college?

  • For AP or IB credits – please refer to Advanced Placement Credits or International Baccalaureate Credits in the College Catalog.
  • If a student has placement credits for the full first year of chemistry, mathematics, or physics, please consult with the appropriate Department Chair or member of that department about where to begin.

When should I declare a major?

  • All students must declare a major by March 1st of their sophomore year.