Sociology: A Guide to Reference & Information Sources R 016.301 Ab99s2
Max Weber: A Bio-Bibliography R 016.3010924 W388k
International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences R 300.3 In8si 9;
Encyclopedia of Sociology R 301.03 En19b2
The Blackwell Dictionary of Sociology R 301.03 J63b2
Annual Review of Sociology (Upstairs - 301.05 An78)
Online Catalog (http://baileylib.hendrix.edu)
- Keyword: most flexible, most results, try your term with the words "sociological aspects."
- Subject: more restrictive, categories, works like an index, idea farm. Start with sociology and go from there!
- Title: more restrictive, have precise titles, works like an index.
- Modify/Limit: limit by language or location. Ex.: media center
SocINDEX indexes over 2,500 journals, as well as conference papers, dissertations, book reviews, and sociology books. Some full text is provided.
- Use the "Advanced Search" tab.
- Use AND to separate concepts.
- Use "?" for word endings, and "*" for word variants.
A full-text, social sciences database that covers complete runs of scholarly periodicals.
- Use the “All of these words” box to do most your searching.
- Select whichever disciplines/journals may be relevant.
- Use “&” on the end of your term to account for plurals, and “~” to account for variant word endings.
- Use quotes to search phrases. Ex.: “Roman Catholicism” AND Weber
- You may have to set preferences to print. We recommend using the “JSTOR Economy Print” option.
Some full-text, covers a wide array of social science periodicals from 1983-present.
- Select "Social Sciences Full Text" and any other database that might be relevant to your search.
- Choose "Feature Article" or "Review Article" under Document Type to eliminate fluff.
- Limit your search to more scholarly articles by selecting the "peer reviewed" box.
- Use "*" on the end of your term for variant endings, and "?" for variant spellings.
Remember that you can use interlibrary loan to get books and articles that we and UCA don’t have. Check our catalog and journals list as well as UCA’s catalog, BearCat first. Use our interlibrary loan forms to order your materials.
Core Sociology Journals at Bailey*
American Journal of Sociology
American Sociological Review
Annual Review of Sociology
British Journal of Sociology
Journal of Contemporary Ethnography
Pacific Sociological Review
Social Psychology Quarterly
Sociology and Social Research
Theory, Culture, & Society
*For a complete list of journals at Bailey, consult the Journals List.