Remote Peer Learning at Hendrix College
It is so important during these extraordinary and unprecedented
times to stay connected with one another digitally, to continue learning
together and offering one another encouragement and support. We have developed an online version of Peer Learning and would like to encourage students to
continue attending Peer Learning Sessions on Microsoft Teams.
With remote teaching, we will all become very familiar with
Microsoft Teams. The software offers flexibility in how you use it and has lots
of different functions to adapt to your peer learning needs. To join the Hendrix Peer Learning Team, select click this link or press Join or create a team at
the bottom of the teams list and type a Hendrix Peer Learning in the search box at
the top right and press Enter to find the team you're looking for and
select Join team.
What can Microsoft Teams allow
you to do for Peer Learning sessions?
drop- ins: Peer Learning Associates offer a weekly drop-in session for
discussion and Q&A. To let Peer Learning Associate know your attending book an
appointment at https://peerlearningathendrixcollege.setmore.com/
discussions: can enable group discussions, including separate messaging chat
and video calls functions
- One on one sessions: to delve deeper into discussions
for themed discussions: In the Hendrix Peer Learning Team, there are different
channels for the different subjects to hold discussions.
Documents: You can share any Microsoft files, YouTube videos, media and
web links, as well as screen sharing during video calls, whilst also using
various Apps to make collaborative working easier such as ‘Planner’ or “camscanner”
Peer Learning Online Operations
To ensure the best service, we
will use two applications: our usual scheduling app (Setmore) and Teams.
Below is the
process of making and attending an appointment:
you would like to meet with a Peer Learning Associate, go to https://www.hendrix.edu/AcademicSuccess/success/Default.aspx?id=70374 You will see a link that
says “Book Appointment.” Click on it or go to https://peerlearningathendrixcollege.setmore.com/ and follow the instructions.
The page will show you who is available and at what times.
you are done, you will receive an appointment notification.
Peer Learning Associate you booked will contact you shortly after with a
Meeting Request message. That message will contain the date and time you
requested, buttons to respond whether you will attend the meeting (“Yes,” “No”
and “Maybe”) and a link that says, “Join Teams Meeting.”
the time of the meeting comes, click on the “Join Teams Meeting” link and you
will be directed to a video chat. You will first see a screen that shows you
the image from your camera, and a button to “Join Now” below it. Click on that
button and the meeting will begin (the Peer Learning Associate should have
joined already, but if not, hang in there a little longer)
share documents with the Peer Learning Associate through the Chat function of
the video call.
the video window, you will see a toolbar when you hover your mouse over it. The
dialogue box picture is the Chat button, as in the image below:
- Then, at the bottom of the Chat column, you’ll
see the “Attachment” button (the one that looks like a paper clip). It should
prompt you to choose a file to share. Select it, then, click “Send:”
- Now, the next bit is important. After you’ve
sent the file, you will see three dots next to its name. Click on them to open
a menu that includes the option “Open in Desktop App.” Choose that. The Peer Learning Associate will
do the same:
- If you did this right, you both should be able
to see the same document.
Students are expected to:
- Bring all relevant material to the peer learning session (e.g.,
textbook, lecture notes, assignments, lab books, paper drafts, past tests).
- Do the assigned reading and homework before the sessions.
- Set reasonable goals for both short and long term work. Write them
down. Share them with your PLA and revise, if necessary.
- Have specific concepts or questions ready to discuss with the PLA.
- Ask the PLA to explain not only specific concepts but also how he
or she studies for similar courses.
- Stop the PLA if she is going too fast or telling you too much.
- Do not expect the PLA to tell you the answer or to do your work.
- Don’t be afraid to say, “I still don’t get it, let’s do it again.”
- Review the material on your own soon after the session.
- Talk with other students and consider participating in a study
wait until the last minute to get help for a test or assignment.
- Arrive early.
- Be patient while a PLA works with other students.
- Collaborate with other students while waiting for help
Associate are expected to:
- To complete the training sessions
- To respect confidentiality
- To adhere to the peer learning schedule and to
make arrangements for absences in a timely manner.
- Make at least two visits per semester to
professors and/or classroom to notify students and professors of your
- To communicate effectively with peers about
their academic needs, with other associates and the Office of Academic Success
about tutoring experiences, concerns, and successes.
- To respond promptly to requests and attend
- To keep accurate, honest, and detailed sign-in
sheets to be submitted on or before the 1st day of each month
- To submit time-cards on or before the 1st day of
- Must be currently registered at Hendrix College
as a sophomore, junior, or senior;
- Must have a 3.0 GPA or higher for the courses
you wish to assist;
- Must maintain a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
while in your position;
- Must have a high level of patience and a sincere
desire to share your academic successes and abilities with your peers.
Causes for Termination:
- Excessive cancellations and absences.
- Disrespect for student learners or other peer
learning associates or library staff.
- Any breach of confidentiality will result in
Are you interested in being a
Peer Learning Associate next year? Fill out the Interest Form below:
For questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org