Encyclopedia of Italian Renaissance…Art R 709.4503 En19t
Dictionary of the Middle Ages R 909.07 D561s
New Century Italian Renaissance Encyclopedia R 914.5 N42
Encyclopedia of the Renaissance R 940.2303 En19g
Historical Dictionary of the Elizabethan World R 942.05503 W125h
English Historical Documents R 942 En36d
Online Catalog http://baileylib.hendrix.edu
These subject headings will bring "sure success" when searched in the keyword or subject heading categories:
art, renaissance middle ages
architecture, renaissance music – 15th century (etc.)
European literature – renaissance, 1450-1600 renaissance
fifteenth century renaissance – Italy (or other country…)
humanism sixteenth century
- Keyword: most flexible, most results, use AND to separate concepts Ex.: renaissance and women
- Subject: more restrictive, categories, works like an index Ex.: renaissance
- Title: more restrictive, have precise titles, works like an index.
Recommended Journals at Bailey Library
American Historical Review
English Historical Review
Economic Historical Review
French Historical Studies
History Workshop Journal
Journal of Economic History
Journal of Interdisciplinary History
Journal of Modern History
Journal of Social History
Journal of the History of Philosophy
Journal of Women's History
Past & Present
Journal of Medieval and Renaissance Studies
Journal of the History of Ideas
Contains citations and abstracts to articles and books covering world history (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present. This database contains some text, but if you retrieve just a citation, be sure to check our journals list to see if we have the journal.
- Use the advanced search and exclude searching of U.S. and Canadian history.
- Use * on the end of your term for variant endings, and ? to account for variant spellings. Ex.: Christian* retrieves Christianity, Christians, etc. Rom? retrieves Rome and Roma
- Use the browse feature to locate subjects, names, and places.
- Use the browse feature to limit to a time period.
A full-text, social sciences database that covers complete runs of scholarly periodicals, but NOT the most current 2-5 years!
- Use the “All of these words” box to do most your searching.
- Select whichever disciplines/journals are relevant to your searching.
- Use “&” on the end of your term to account for plurals, and “~” to account for variant word endings.
- Use quotes to search phrases. Ex.: “Leonardo da Vinci” AND (Florence OR Firenze)
- Print using the “JSTOR Economy Print” option.
Some full-text, covers a wide array of social science periodicals from 1983-present.
- Select “Social Sciences Full Text” and any other relevant database.
- If you get unsatisfactory results with the “Smart Search,” try “Keyword” search.
- Limit your search by article type (feature).
- Use “*” on the end of your term for variant endings, and “?” for variant spellings.
Art of Renaissance Science: Galileo and Perspective
Medieval and Renaissance Food
Medici: Godfathers of the Renaissance
Renaissance: What Inspired this Age of Balance and Order
Last Modified on 9/5/2006