Student Senate

Minutes 04.24.12



Tuesday, April24, 2012

6:30 p.m.Campbell Dinning Room

Student Lifeand Technology Center

I. Call toOrder

Annie Slattery– Present              Neelam Vyas - Present

DelaneyRoberts – Present            GrahamSenor – Proxy (ReedFlocks)

Zack Hausle – Present                  Julia Cook – Present

Molly Elders –Present                 LaurenWallis - Present

Blake Tierney– Present               Annie Vogt - Present

AdeliaShiffraw – Present             Anvesh Kompelli - Present

Rachel Head - Present                 Dylan Ashcraft – Present

Ethan Ake – Present                     KrisNickel - Present

Malena Outhay– Proxy                Peter Hanneman - Present

Kelley Lane – Present                            DrewAllen – Present

Erin Murchison– Present              Ethan Hill - Present

JeremyWilliams – Present            Sreesh Reddy - Present

LaurenWhitmore – Present         

Jeremy Rowe – Present               Cara Roadarmel - Present

II. SpecialBusiness

III.Announcements and Constituent Concerns

  • Why can we print for free, but not copy for free?
    • Annie Vogt (Library Liaison) will look into this
      • Will also ask how students can suggest a book that would like to see in the library
  • Compliment Eric’s work à Bagel bites, cheesy bread
    • Cara Roadmarmel (Cafeteria Liaison) will share with Mike Flory
      • Will ask about more sugary cereals (like Captain Crunch)
      • Will also ask about adding another dispenser for water
  • Concern about selling Miss Hendrix DVDs for-profit
    • Not only does it come off as wrong, but it seems to be illegal because it would require the consent of Campus Kitty and Princess.
    • Campus Kitty will handle it next year and the Dean will talk with the person selling the DVDs
  • Senate shirttails
    • Lots of constituents concerned about it and many reasons not to do it, so it’s fairly likely we aren’t doing it. Thanks for sharing your opinions!
  • Graduation update
    • Nobody emailed Lauren Whitmore about working with her to draft a resolution for the Graduation Committee
      • The job will be passed onto Julia Cook, the Senior (Class of 2013) Senator; however...
        • ANYONE interested in finding a better space for graduation should contact Julia
        • If you have an issue with graduation as it is, then please volunteer a small amount of your time to help draft this resolution and enact change that will benefit your class and future classes at Hendrix College.
  • Summer Storage
    • Buhler is a rat kingdom currently
    • Hulen is subpar for operations
    • Dean has worked at a college with summer storage
      • Label items in the Student Activities section of the attic in the SLTC with
        • STUDENT NAME
      • If items are not labeled, then they are not properly marked then they will be donated to Good Will over the summer, and they will have the opportunity in August to buy it back if it has not already been bought by a lovely citizen of Conway.
  • Crosswalks
    • Student was concerned about crosswalks and wanted an update on what Senate was doing about it
    • We were going to delegate that to SACC, which will not be reworked until next semester because of scheduling issues this semester
    • Dean (agreed upon by many students and Senators) feel that this needs to be addressed now
      • Addressing it now will give the city time to fix it over the summer while students are away rather than us trying to draft a proclamation, get it to the city, and have them bicker over it throughout the Fall.
      • A formal proclamation from Senate and then a strongly written letter drafted by Senate will have teeth
        • Will be drafted tonight and presented tomorrow at the special meeting
        • Annie and Blake will be here over the summer and will be able and willing to follow up with it and put pressure on the city, if necessary
  • Hammocks
    • Safety concern (if left over night or even during the day and people are leaving buildings and not looking where they are going, especially if a fire, then there is a concern that injury will occur)
      • The secondary concern was damage to trees (which the constituent believed he had a method of working around, which is great, but we need to consider the primary concern)
    • Dean will go back to try to Facilities to see if we can pilot a program
  • Front Street kiddy pool closed down
    • There was no lifeguard so a small kiddy pool was closed down at the back of a Front Street apartment
      • Some feel this is ridiculous
      • Dean – worry that people will forget about it and neglect caring for it and that it will become an issue due to that

IV. DepartmentalLiaison Reports

  • Update from Facilities
    • Gate will be up on the west side of Front Street over the summer
      • No lock, but it will be a deterrent
      • We will clarify this and Jeremy will check if this is what his constituents wanted.
    • Heavier ashbins are more expensive and were stolen years back
      • Attempt to find a middle ground
      • Ash box with a lock and key?
    • Hardin Gazebo
      • Ordered from Kentucky - all the parts to fix it must be ordered and so if broken, then it will take a long time to fix
  • Update from Cafeteria
    • Mike will look into pricing for a clock
    • Dawn will look into a variety of fruits

V. CommitteeReports

  • Committee on Everything Awesome with Dean Jim Wiltgen


  • Financial Committee with Adelia Shiffraw

Aonianrequests $335 for sales tax on Aonian

 PASSED - all in favor

MartinHall requests $775 for rental for the generator and Greek food (made byCulinary Club) for Toga

PASSED– all in favor

Budgetappeal schedule tomorrow

  • Campus Kitty with Malena Outhay (Proxy Ashley Halbert)

Workingnow to get money out to the organizations

Applicationsfor Executive positions due Thursday!

Includingat-large positions for a rising sophomore and a rising junior

  • Social Committee with Ethan Ake

We're investigating Mitch Fatel and MichaelPalascak (comedians) for Welcome Week next year (August 23rd)

Anysuggestions for comedy act? Send them to Ethan Ake.

  • Media Committee with Kelley Lane

Aonian Launch Party: Thursday April 26, 4:30 in theMurphy House


Interviewthis week for Profile Associate Editor

  • Environmental Concerns Committee with Rachel Head

Earth Day is THIS Friday from 3:00-6:00 onBailey Lawn

The Green Cart Deli (free hot dogs for first 50people)

The Root (root beer floats from localingredients)

Live music (Swampbird, former Hoop Dreams,etc.)

Fun crafts (tie dye)

The Free Store

Booths from Student organizations and localbusinesses devoted to environmental issues

Facilitiestakes recycling and trash bins out the first day of finals

Theywill have large trash bin and smaller recycling bin on Southside and Northsideof campus

Firstday of exams – bins in the lobbies of dorms for donations to Free Store and foritems to send to Red Cross, etc.

  • Multicultural Development Committee with Jeremy Williams

DAOWeek was success

Holiis this weekend!

  • Volunteer Action Committee with Erin Murchinson

Last chance to help on a Service Saturday -Willow St. Apartments (complex for low-income families) - working with otherorganizations to put on a small carnival for the kids.

We will meet at the bell at 9:15am and carpoolover. The event will end at 12p,. If you are interested e-mail Rachel at

Thank you for volunteering for the 4thgrade visit

  • Student and Academic Concerns Committee with Molly Elders and Zack Hausle


  • Communications Committee with Secretary Blake Tierney


  • Committee on Committees with Delaney Roberts

CampusCommittee Appointments






Alternate- Avery Loss

Budgetand Finance



Alternate– Graham Senor

PASSED– Lauren Whitmore abstains



ZachSaul (fall)

JustinJohn (spring)

PASSED– all in favor

  • Academic Policy with Zack Hausle

Reviewof Journeys Presentation to the faculty

Journeyswill be in place next year

EngagedCitizen will take its place from 2013 school year and beyond (until the nexttime that it needs review)

Studentsget to select course they want to take

  • Executive Committee with Annie Slattery

Sendout notes after tomorrow’s meeting just to save constituents from receivingmultiple emails

VII. NewBusiness