Tuesday, April24, 2012
6:30 p.m.Campbell Dinning Room
Student Lifeand Technology Center
I. Call toOrder
Annie Slattery– Present Neelam Vyas - Present
DelaneyRoberts – Present GrahamSenor – Proxy (ReedFlocks)
Zack Hausle – Present Julia Cook – Present
Molly Elders –Present LaurenWallis - Present
Blake Tierney– Present Annie Vogt - Present
AdeliaShiffraw – Present Anvesh Kompelli - Present
Rachel Head - Present Dylan Ashcraft – Present
Ethan Ake – Present KrisNickel - Present
Malena Outhay– Proxy Peter Hanneman - Present
Kelley Lane – Present DrewAllen – Present
Erin Murchison– Present Ethan Hill - Present
JeremyWilliams – Present Sreesh Reddy - Present
LaurenWhitmore – Present
Jeremy Rowe – Present Cara Roadarmel - Present
III.Announcements and Constituent Concerns
- Why can we print for free, but not copy for free?
- Annie Vogt (Library Liaison) will look into this
- Will also ask how students can suggest a book that would like to see in the library
- Compliment Eric’s work à Bagel bites, cheesy bread
- Cara Roadmarmel (Cafeteria Liaison) will share with Mike Flory
- Will ask about more sugary cereals (like Captain Crunch)
- Will also ask about adding another dispenser for water
- Concern about selling Miss Hendrix DVDs for-profit
- Not only does it come off as wrong, but it seems to be illegal because it would require the consent of Campus Kitty and Princess.
- Campus Kitty will handle it next year and the Dean will talk with the person selling the DVDs
- Senate shirttails
- Lots of constituents concerned about it and many reasons not to do it, so it’s fairly likely we aren’t doing it. Thanks for sharing your opinions!
- Graduation update
- Nobody emailed Lauren Whitmore about working with her to draft a resolution for the Graduation Committee
- The job will be passed onto Julia Cook, the Senior (Class of 2013) Senator; however...
- ANYONE interested in finding a better space for graduation should contact Julia
- If you have an issue with graduation as it is, then please volunteer a small amount of your time to help draft this resolution and enact change that will benefit your class and future classes at Hendrix College.
- Summer Storage
- Buhler is a rat kingdom currently
- Hulen is subpar for operations
- Dean has worked at a college with summer storage
- IMPORTANT NOTE FOR STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Label items in the Student Activities section of the attic in the SLTC with
- STUDENT ORGANIZATION'S NAME
- STUDENT NAME
- STUDENT PHONE NUMBER
- STUDENT EMAIL
- If items are not labeled, then they are not properly marked then they will be donated to Good Will over the summer, and they will have the opportunity in August to buy it back if it has not already been bought by a lovely citizen of Conway.
- Student was concerned about crosswalks and wanted an update on what Senate was doing about it
- We were going to delegate that to SACC, which will not be reworked until next semester because of scheduling issues this semester
- Dean (agreed upon by many students and Senators) feel that this needs to be addressed now
- Addressing it now will give the city time to fix it over the summer while students are away rather than us trying to draft a proclamation, get it to the city, and have them bicker over it throughout the Fall.
- A formal proclamation from Senate and then a strongly written letter drafted by Senate will have teeth
- Will be drafted tonight and presented tomorrow at the special meeting
- Annie and Blake will be here over the summer and will be able and willing to follow up with it and put pressure on the city, if necessary
- Safety concern (if left over night or even during the day and people are leaving buildings and not looking where they are going, especially if a fire, then there is a concern that injury will occur)
- The secondary concern was damage to trees (which the constituent believed he had a method of working around, which is great, but we need to consider the primary concern)
- Dean will go back to try to Facilities to see if we can pilot a program
- Front Street kiddy pool closed down
- There was no lifeguard so a small kiddy pool was closed down at the back of a Front Street apartment
- Some feel this is ridiculous
- Dean – worry that people will forget about it and neglect caring for it and that it will become an issue due to that
IV. DepartmentalLiaison Reports
- Update from Facilities
- Gate will be up on the west side of Front Street over the summer
- No lock, but it will be a deterrent
- We will clarify this and Jeremy will check if this is what his constituents wanted.
- Heavier ashbins are more expensive and were stolen years back
- Attempt to find a middle ground
- Ash box with a lock and key?
- Hardin Gazebo
- Ordered from Kentucky - all the parts to fix it must be ordered and so if broken, then it will take a long time to fix
- Update from Cafeteria
- Mike will look into pricing for a clock
- Dawn will look into a variety of fruits
- Committee on Everything Awesome with Dean Jim Wiltgen
- Financial Committee with Adelia Shiffraw
Aonianrequests $335 for sales tax on Aonian
PASSED - all in favor
MartinHall requests $775 for rental for the generator and Greek food (made byCulinary Club) for Toga
PASSED– all in favor
Budgetappeal schedule tomorrow
- Campus Kitty with Malena Outhay (Proxy Ashley Halbert)
Workingnow to get money out to the organizations
Applicationsfor Executive positions due Thursday!
Includingat-large positions for a rising sophomore and a rising junior
- Social Committee with Ethan Ake
We're investigating Mitch Fatel and MichaelPalascak (comedians) for Welcome Week next year (August 23rd)
Anysuggestions for comedy act? Send them to Ethan Ake.
- Media Committee with Kelley Lane
Aonian Launch Party: Thursday April 26, 4:30 in theMurphy House
FREE FOOD and FREE AONIANS
Interviewthis week for Profile Associate Editor
- Environmental Concerns Committee with Rachel Head
Earth Day is THIS Friday from 3:00-6:00 onBailey Lawn
The Green Cart Deli (free hot dogs for first 50people)
The Root (root beer floats from localingredients)
Live music (Swampbird, former Hoop Dreams,etc.)
Fun crafts (tie dye)
The Free Store
Booths from Student organizations and localbusinesses devoted to environmental issues
Facilitiestakes recycling and trash bins out the first day of finals
Theywill have large trash bin and smaller recycling bin on Southside and Northsideof campus
Firstday of exams – bins in the lobbies of dorms for donations to Free Store and foritems to send to Red Cross, etc.
- Multicultural Development Committee with Jeremy Williams
DAOWeek was success
Holiis this weekend!
- Volunteer Action Committee with Erin Murchinson
Last chance to help on a Service Saturday -Willow St. Apartments (complex for low-income families) - working with otherorganizations to put on a small carnival for the kids.
We will meet at the bell at 9:15am and carpoolover. The event will end at 12p,. If you are interested e-mail Rachel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for volunteering for the 4thgrade visit
- Student and Academic Concerns Committee with Molly Elders and Zack Hausle
- Communications Committee with Secretary Blake Tierney
- Committee on Committees with Delaney Roberts
Alternate- Avery Loss
Alternate– Graham Senor
PASSED– Lauren Whitmore abstains
PASSED– all in favor
- Academic Policy with Zack Hausle
Reviewof Journeys Presentation to the faculty
Journeyswill be in place next year
EngagedCitizen will take its place from 2013 school year and beyond (until the nexttime that it needs review)
Studentsget to select course they want to take
- Executive Committee with Annie Slattery
Sendout notes after tomorrow’s meeting just to save constituents from receivingmultiple emails