Tuesday, February 21, 2012
6:30 p.m. Campbell Dinning Room
Student Life and TechnologyCenter
I. Call to Order
II. Special Business
III. Announcements andConstituent Concerns
o Apresidential candidate for our upcoming elections already has campaign postersup? Isn’t that against the election code?
o Theposters were not put up by the candidate, and therefore do not break theelection code. They have been taken down and the candidate has been warned.
IV. Departmental LiaisonReports
- Helmets at the WAC – Anvesh
- Karl is on it, we will likely be getting them soon.
V. Committee Reports
- Committee on Committees with Gabe Breshears
- Congratulations to the new Welcome Week Chair, Jo Claire Robertson, and the new Shirttails Co-Chairs Neelam Vyas and Logan Rice!
- Unsung Hero Awards-Awards for those who go the extra mile, but don’t necessarily get the recognition they deserve.
- John Robert Paulette Jr.
- Students can send Faculty nomination suggestions to their Senators who can nominate candidates to Gabe. The full senate will determine the winners.
- Senator of the year
- Outstanding Student Organization
- NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN UNTIL TUESDAY!
- Campus Kitty with Malena Outhay
- Social Committee with Will Phillips
- SoCo Presents WINTER FORMAL!
- February 25th 9pm-1am
- At The Ford Theater(1020 Front St)
- From Hendrix just walk Straight Down and you'll find it
- Featuring: Five and a Dime & DJ King
- $4 Well and $3 Beer (for those of age)
- Wristbands will be given out next week (February 21-24) Tuesday through Thursday 11-2 and 5-7 on the sun porch as well as Friday from 11-2.
- Guest Wristbands will be $10 and must be signed up in advance.
- TO PICK YOUR GUEST WRISTBAND: on Saturday February 25th between 12-5 YOU AND YOUR GUEST must come to the SOCO office to pick up the guest band. THEY WILL NOT BE GIVEN OUT AT THE DOOR! This is to alleviate any line build up at the entrance of the event. If there is a conflict other arrangements can be made to pick up a guest band if a SoCo executive member is notified WELL IN ADVANCE! Student wristbands will NOT be given out at this time!
- PAINTBALL SIGN UPS AT LUNCH
- Academic Policy with LaRonda Mitchell
- Financial Committee with Clay Christian
- Discretionary Request: Student Activities Games (Arcade Games/etc to add diversity to the game room)
- REC: Good request, but FinCom suggests that it be re-submitted in the fall when we have more funds available.
- Motion to accept FinCom recommendation passes, no objections or abstentions
- Revisions to FinCom Document
- Proper notice on the Master Calendar
- Discretionary requests must be submitted to Senate AT LEAST TWO WEEKS before the event
- Classroom activities cannot seek funding through FinCom/The Student Activity Fee
- Motion to accept FinCom’s recommendation passes no objections or abstentions
- (See salary revision document, pasted below the minutes)
- CJ (Media Committee Chair): Feels the recommended salary for KHDX Station Manager does not fairly reflect the amount of work that they do, and recommends to keep that salary as is ($1500) instead of changing it to ($1300)
- Emily Canon (ECC Chair): Feels that the vice chairs of ECC should be salaried positions. These chairs are in charge of the Dish Program, Free Store and Recycling.
- FinCom feels that ECC should apply for salaries for these positions during the spring allocations process, and FinCom believes we need more time to see that these positions justify being constitutionally salaried.
- Why don’t we do a thorough salary revision more often?
o Logisticallychallenging to do more often than once every four years, also challenging tochange the bylaws more often than once every four years.
- Goal: for everything to make sense, and reflect current practice, not reward and punishment
- Motion to amend FinCom’s recommendation to keep the KHDX Station Manager position salaried at $1500.
- Motion accepted no objections or abstentions.
- Motion to accept FinCom’s recommended revised salaries, with the KHDX Station Manager amendment.
- Motion accepted, no objections, Mike Ehrenburg abstains.
- Committee on Everything Awesome with Dean Jim Wiltgen
- Media Committee with Courtney Johnson
- Still looking through submissions and getting things together for the magazine.
- The Spring Concert artists will soon be announced.
- All articles have been turned in for the next issue. Currently in the layout stage.
- Setting up a meeting with the Log Cabin to discuss quality issues.
- Still trying to pursue leads for an alternative publisher.
- If you have an event that you want advertised in the March issue email ThompsonCA2@hendrix.edu.
- February 26 is the DEADLINE for study abroad students to pick up their yearbooks. After that point they will be released to students on the waiting list. Email Troubadour@hendrix.edu for more information.
- Seniors! Next week you will receive info on how to get your yearbook mailed to you in the fall. Follow instructions carefully because no books are set aside from seniors other than the ones that are mailed directly to you.
- If anyone has photos from this year’s candlelight service please email them to email@example.com.
- Environmental Concerns Committee with Emily Canon
- No report (no free store due this week due to the Etiquette Dinner)
- Multicultural Development Committee with Anna Roane (interim)
- Communications Committee with Adelia Shiffraw
- Senators: If you have not gotten your Tshirts please see Adelia!
- Senate Debates:
- Monday February 28th at 6:30 in Worsham
- FREE DINNER!
- Volunteer Action Committee with Rachel Robbins
- Student and Academic Concerns Committee with Daniel Williams and LaRonda Mitchell
- Executive Committee with Desh Deepak
VII. New Business
Financial Committee first sought toestablish what the purpose of the Senate Constitutional salaries is. Financial Committee established that thepurpose of the salaries is not to provide minimum wage per-hour compensation tothe recipients. Rather, the salariesserve as a recognition and honorarium to those whose role in the Senate and itscommittees is vital to the life of the school as a whole. Further, they are assurances that those insuch positions can be held accountable for their actions if necessary. Salaries were also adjusted to more roundnumbers and for lower positions number that worked neatly on the Senate’sseven-month pay period.
Financial Committee attempted toestablish salary constancy based on level and number of responsibilities,overall essentialness to the functioning of the Senate and student life, numberof hours required, and presence of subordinates who were also salaried by theSenate. Financial Committee sought toapply this within the division of the Student Senate and its committees as wellas among them.
Student Senate Executive Positions
President: $1900.00 from $1912.49
ThePresident of the Senate served as the benchmark of Financial Committee as thehighest paid position, equaled only the chair of Social Committee. Financial Committee lowered the salary to aflat $1900.00, as Financial Committee was informed that the last salaryadjustment was put at this level to be deliberately random.
Vice President: $1700.00 from $1650.00
The VicePresident of the Senate was given a small raise as a nod to the uptrend intheir responsibilities over the last four years.
Academic Policy Representative: $1600.00 from $1500.00
FinancialCommittee raised the salary of the Academic Policy Representative inrecognition that their job has gradually taken on more responsibilities,including appearances at faculty meetings when called upon. Further, Financial Committee felt that thisrecognized the fact that this elected position is in fact extremely importantto the academic well being of all students, as they are the direct link tofaculty.
Treasurer: $1700.00 from $1600.00
FinancialCommittee raised this salary in recognition of the manifold weeklyresponsibilities of the Treasurer as well as the trend over the past four yearsin an explosion of Student Organizations and discretionary requests ofincreasing complexity.
Chair: $1900.00 from $1925.00
The salaryof the Chair of Social Committee was equalized with that of the President,reflecting Financial Committee’s view that both exemplify the highest levels ofwhat justifies a Student Senate salary, albeit in different ways.
Film and Special Events/Music and Dance: $1400.00 from$1425.00
Based onthe report given by the Social Committee Chair to Financial Committee,Financial Committee agreed that both of these positions have relatively thesame amount of work. The smalladjustment was made for the sake of the seven-month pay period.
Secretary-Treasurer/Publicity: $1300.00 from $1450.00
Based onthe report given by the Social Committee Chair to Financial Committee,Financial Committee agreed that both of these positions have relatively thesame amount of work. However, FinancialCommittee felt that these two positions had less total responsibility than Filmand Special Events/Music and Dance, thus the greater reduction.
Chair of Media Committee: $1700.00 from $1500.00
This raiseis in acknowledgement that this position is responsible for the generaloversight of KHDX, the Profile, the Troubadour, and the Aonian. Financial Committee recognized that as theschool has grown, so have these entities and the task of managing them.
Profile Editor: $1200.00 from $1900.00
Followingthe report of the Media Chair, Financial Committee determined that given thenumber of papers put out per year, their length, and the fact that there aretwo paid Associate Editors, this reduction was justified.
Profile Associate Editors (2): $600.00 from $1400.00
Given thatthere are two of these positions as well as the reasons listed for the aboveProfile editor, Financial Committee feels that this reduction is necessary.
Troubadour Editor: $1500.00
FinancialCommittee found the Troubadour Editor’s salary to be appropriate.
Troubadour Associate Editor: $800.00 from $700.00
This raiseis in recognition of the increased quality and work that the Troubadour hasnecessitated over the last four years.
Aonian Editor: $1300.00 from $1300.00
FinancialCommittee found this salary to be appropriate.
Aonian Associate Editor: $700.00 from $650.00
This salaryraise is in recognition that the work required for the Aonian has taken a leapover the last four years, both in quality and quantity.
KHDX Station Manager:
$1300.00 from $1500.00
Thissalary change was done due to perceived overlap in the responsibilities in thetwo paid positions as well as to equalize the salary with the rest of theSenate.
Amendment: Keep station manager salary at $1500. (Thissalary better reflects the work the position involves)
KHDX Program Director: $900.00 from $1100.00
This salarychange was done due to perceived overlap in the responsibilities in the twopaid positions as well as to equalize the salary with the rest of the Senate.
Student Organization Media Equipment Committee
Chair: $1400.00 from $1425
This wasbased off of reasoning for Social Committee Adjustments, as this was formerly apart of Social Committee.
Workers (2): $700.00
These twonew positions are to be salaried at $100.00 per month for seven months.
Environmental Concerns Committee
Chair: $1200.00 from $1300.00
Thisadjustment was done for the sake of consistency within the Senate based onaforementioned criteria. Further,Financial Committee has elected not to fund any other Environmental ConcernsCommittee positions as requested. Financial Committee feels that in their first year these positions didnot fully demonstrate that they rose to the level of Senate salary in regardsto the aforementioned criteria.
2nd Vice Chair--$800
Multi-Cultural Development Committee
Chair: $1000.00 from $1300.00
FinancialCommittee found that this position has in recent years been weak. Further, Financial Committee found that manyof the organizations which were once under the umbrella of the Committee havebecome fully independent organizations. Financial Committee has kept the salary at this level because itrecognizes the importance of this position in theory. However, Financial Committee stronglysuggests that this Committee undergo dramatic restructuring to increase itsviability and presence on campus.
Chair: $1400.00 from $1000.00
FinancialCommittee recognizes that over the past few years the responsibilities of theCampus Kitty chair have experienced logarithmic growth. While Financial Committee is cognizant of thefact that Campus Kitty is a charity organization, Financial Committee alsorecognizes the extraordinary amount of work it takes to successfully do thisjob as well as how much it contributes to the College, both in events andprestige. While Financial Committee didalso look favorably on providing small honorariums to the 1st and 2ndVice Chairs, Financial Committee felt that to spread such small amounts overseven months before the completion of Campus Kitty week would beillogical. Therefore, FinancialCommittee recommends that the Chair request these honorariums during SpringAllocation, to be paid to the Vice Chairs at the end of the year followingCampus Kitty Week
Ranking Overview: The following describes all the SenateSalaries in tiers:
-President, Social Committee Chair
-Vice President, Treasurer, Media Chair
-Academic Policy Representative, Presidential Assistant,Secretary
-Social Committee Film and Special Events, Social CommitteeMusic and Dance, Student Organization Media Equipment Chair, Campus Kitty Chair
-Aonian Editor, Social Committee Secretary-Treasurer, SocialCommittee Publicity, KHDX Station Manager
-Profile Editor, Environmental Concerns Committee Chair
-Multi-Cultural Development Committee Chair
-KHDX Program Director
-Troubadour Associate Editor
-Aonian Associate Editor, Student Organization MediaEquipment Management Workers
-Profile Associate Editor