Student Senate

Minutes 11.02.2010

Tuesday November 2, 2010

6:30 p.m. Campbell Dining Room

Student Life and Technology Center

I. Call to Order


II. Special Business

·      KHDX Selection Process – Process to selecting bands: usually what happens we try toss up ideas and find bands that are popular with the budget. Usually a facebook group for suggestions is created and then they try to work with the response. Traditionally we have a vote for the spring concert – usually has nothing to do with contacting the bands because they usually do it before contacting bands, and then they can’t. “WE” – with tonya hale and khdx staff – usually make the decision. Trying to get quotes can be very trying for they have to wait to hear back from the manager’s band and then we have to wait for tonya’s approval- however she is involved heavily. But don’t worry money isn’t the only criteria, but it is hard to get popular bands – because they are out of budget. There is no definite answer to who the concert in the spring will be.


III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns

·      Why front street for water and village doesn’t? Village and Hendrix Corner doesn’t pay water because they are one mane. But Karla will look into a more detailed response!

·      Ashtrays outside the houses please!

·      THEFT? We leave our items outside the caf hoping they trusting they are safe, however sometimes they aren’t. There is nothing we can do about this unfortunately. If you don’t trust your peers leave your personal belongings in your car or at your living space. But if you are stealing others personal belongings – STOP. It is unnecessary and rude.

·      Expand the nurse department? It is something the Administration is talking about, expanding hours. But at this point we don’t have the proper space to house another nurse on duty however they are working on a proposal. (:


IV. Departmental Liaison Reports

·      Recycling bin for Hardin – they looked at it, but they didn’t see an immediate need.

·      Parking spots – sent someone to couch circle, but no response just yet.


V. Committee Reports


  • Financial Committee with Alexander Jones
    • ECC
      • Fincom recommended to fund this after Sip grant granted $1000, so we would fund $4304.20. 
      • Motion to approved : APPROVED, no opposing.
    • Basketball
      • The revised number 298.80 – Lydia forgot to add the next nights worth of gas to the total – motion to fund: APPROVED! No opposing.
    • Unlikely Disciple
      • Move to Accept – APPROVED; no opposing on the condition that the books will be given to the miller center to loan and check out to other students.
  • Committee on Committees with Torey Hayward
    • Motion to move – APPROVED, Andrew Chesser opposed.
    • Working with ECC to revise constitution


  •  Committee on Everything Awesome:


    • Dean Jim Wiltgen and
    • Karla Carney-Hall
      • Ghost Roast – Good Experience. There were no gatherings outside Martin. Everybody was in the party WOOOHOOO! Well attended event. Kinks we still need to work on. Lots of positive feedback from the check points – watching the people who are coming into the school. A thing to remember next time is the alphabetize the guest list. However Martin didn’t provide checkers – this is a problem. This is not ResLifes job. It is a labor intensive process, so we need to have commitment by the student ran event with the future events.
      • UPDATE ON THE SMOKING POLICY discussion group – continues to meet and will be doing a survey within the next week or two. WE really want to gage the interest in the Hendrix community. WE want what is best for our community, our residential community. The Board of Trustees has asked for a report about the smoking policy in February.


  • Environmental Concerns Committee with Emily and Katherine
    • Free STORE is every Tuesday at 3:30 – come – get and bring items! (:
    • Wall- E tonight in MILLS B.
    • General Meeting Thursday at 7 SLTC 106.
    • Still in the midst of the ENERGY COMPETITION!
    • Points are not solely for the dorms.


  • Media Committee with Hannah Sintek


    • Troubador has closed senior pictures and sentences. Don’t fear if you haven’t gotten your conformation – Courtney says they will done by Sunday! (:
    • Profile out on NOV 18th


  • Multicultural Development Committee with Molly Miller
    • Pretty much done this semester.


  • Campus Kitty with Sabrina
  • Social Committee with Will Phillips 
    • No real big report but if you are interested in performing for SOCO 54! Send him an email.
  • Volunteer Action Committee with Michaela Fraser
    • Harvest was AWESOME!
    • Arbor day – Laurel Park on Saturday 8a.m. to noon! They give out free tree.
    • Turkey Project – boxes will be up around campus! But they do ask for specific things!
    • Ronald McDonald House in two weeks!
  • Academic Policy with Ruanda McFerren
    • Meeting Thursday so send me concerns. Thanks.
  • Student and Academic Concerns Committee with Taylor and Ruanda
    • Met with apt council execs. WE will meet them to finalize the constitution
    • Hardin, Martin, and Raney send RUANDA the constitution – thanks.
  • Communications Committee with Emily Jones
  • Executive Committee with Lydia Nash
    • Smoking thing – finalizing the survey – we are going to facilitate and use big pulse – and we are going to have a forum for that. There is going to be an article in the profile for it.

VII. New Business

TRICK OR TREATING and BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB – BIG OLE THANKS FOR EVERYBODY WHO PARTICIPATED! It was an awesome turn out for each event and really speaks to the hearts of our students.


VIII. Adjournment





Request for Discretionary Funds

Prepared by: Environmental Concerns Committee- Emily Canon and Katherine Dennis


Organization Name: Environmental Concerns Committee


Requesting: $5,304.20


For: Speaker Josh Fox, director and creator of GasLand


When and where this event will occur: Worsham, next semester


Master Calendar Confirmation: Dependent on Josh Fox’s schedule


Details: We want to show the movie GasLand about natural gas drilling. This is a pertinent issue to the students at Hendrix and the community of Conway. Many landowners are being affected by natural gas drilling, because it has very detrimental affects to the land and basically renders the land worthless. In order to have a balanced event, we fell it is necessary to have a panel discussion after the screening. Josh Fox will bring insight to this topic, and hopefully draw many community members to the college. Josh will also attend up to three classes to lecture on this issue including a film studies and sociology class. This issue affects all of Arkansas, and we see the event not only as a service to the student body but also the greater community. Other panel members will potentially include an Arkansas landowner, Mayor Townsell, a representative from Southwestern Energy, Gerard Matthews (a journalist who has been following this issue in Arkansas), and the Mayor of Dish, TX (who is featured in the film). The ECC will pay for the film rights and Josh’s food and lodging.


Budget Breakdown:

            $304.20 – Roundtrip flight from New York City to Little Rock, AR

            $5,000 – Josh Fox’s fee

                           His original standard fee is $7,500, but the lowest he will go is $5,000.

Request for Discretionary Funds

Prepared by: Lydia


Budget Breakdown:  (Attach a line-item budget with each expense of the event)


Organization Name:  Student Senate


Requesting:  $266.40


For:  Hendrix vs. UCA basketball games


When & Where will this Event Occur:  Nov. 12 and 13.  UCA


Master Calendar Confirmation:  N/a


Event Details: Every year the men’s and women’s basketball teams play UCA at UCA.  UCA promotes this game by doing a 30 tickets for $30 deal.  Last year, Senate bought 90 tickets for the men’s game and provided shuttles for students to get over there.  This year, we’d like to buy 180 tickets total which can be used for either game.  We’d also like to run the shuttle service since the students used it last year.


180 tickets = $180.00


$54 - rental charge.

$32.40 - gas.  3 vans x 6 roundtrips (3 before and 3 after game) each at .45/mile


Total: $266.40

­­­­­Request for Discretionary Funds

Prepared by Michelle Stiles


Budget Breakdown: 14 copies of The Unlikely Disciple (by Kevin Roose) at $5.04 each (Books are $10.07 and the other half will be funded by the Chaplain’s office.)

Organization Name: Religious Life Council


Requesting: $70.56


For: The Unlikely Disciple book discussion group, which will meet on a weekly basis for nine weeks to foster conversations designed to bridge the gap between differing opinions on religion, politics, and culture. This group will serve as a follow up from Kevin Roose’s campus presentation.


Where and When this event will occur: Saturday mornings at 10:00am at Panera, first meeting on December 4, and resuming the following semester on January 22 through March 12.


Master Calendar Confirmation: n/a

Event Details: Book group will be publicized to the entire campus in November. Those who are interested will be asked to write a paragraph explaining why they are interested in the group and how they feel they will contribute as a member. Based on these paragraphs, RLC will choose fourteen people for the group and put them into pairs with conflicting religious, political, or cultural opinions. These fourteen people will receive free books upon agreeing to participate in the group and agreeing to attend at least seven of the ten meetings. At each meeting, a different pair will “lead” the discussion, which will be comprised of part group discussion and part discussion in pairs.