Student Senate

Minutes 2.10.09



Tuesday February 10th, 2009

6:30 p.m. Mills Library

I. Call to Order 

II. Special Business 

III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns

  • New computer chairs in Mills computer lab please?
  • Send e-mail to IT if you want to be added to a different class’ e-mail list
  • Red box DVD vending machine on campus please? You have to have a certain amount of traffic for business every day, but we’ll check more into it!
  • Martin 101—they’ve asked Physical Plant to fix their window that has been broken since last semester.
  • Update on veggie chicken nuggets? Mike Flory will be met with this week. We’ll keep you posted.
  • Huntington internet still having problems… Derek will holler at IT for you!


IV. Departmental Liaison Reports

  • WAC forum moved to March 19 titled “WAC: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly”


V. Committee Reports

  • Media Committee with Fraser Holmes
    • Yearbook meeting possibly Thursday!
    • Profile—2 voiced complaints regarding survey and the propriety of asking what Hendrix College’s beer of choice was when some underage students replied. Holler at Fraser with anymore complaints, comments, or concerns about the profile please!
    • Aonian is about 80 days away from being released?
    • Hey, why don’t they do superlatives in the yearbook anymore? Actually, senior committee is looking into providing that.
    • E-mail Jordan Frazin if you want an event to be profiled.
  • Multicultural Development Committee with Ronni Laizure
    • Last week was Southern Culture Festival—Log Cabin Democrat article on front page! First time to do this… great success!
    • Salsa night was also a huge success!
    • Meeting next Tues 4:15 pm Mills 101—Africana studies improvement/development of major. Go if interested! 
  • Social Committee with Jake Eddington
    • VD (Valentine’s Day) COFFEE HOUSE! Saturday at 8:00 in Burrow. There will be coffee and snacks.
    • Trivia night next Thursday at 9:00 p.m. in Burrow! Theme: TBD (to be decided)
    • February 27: Natalie Stovall—cute fiddler and a singer! Location TBA. If it is nice, perhaps outside! Most likely in Staples.
  • Volunteer Action Committee with Larnie Campbell
    • Raise Awareness for child with autism to help raise $13,000 for service dog—VAC helped raise $800! However, the awareness they raised helped raise even more money and awareness as the family ended up receiving all they needed for the dog by the end of the week! The family sent them an awesome e-mail that you can read here:!
    • Quapaw Soup Kitchen—Sunday at 7:30 AM meet at the bell. Contact Molly McGuire for more info!
    • Sunday 7:30 pm open meetings in Lilly Office (Mills 306)
    • Hendrix Website—Organization of the Week!
    • Friday—Going to Independent Living Services for Valentine’s Event—adults with physical and mental disabilities. Time TBA. 
  • Residence Life Committee With Mac Barnes
    • Met with Dean and John Omolo—worked out a plan to fix housing for incoming freshman and etc.
    • Possibly rid of the GPA requirements to live in apartments. The goal is to encourage upper classmen to live in the apartments. Also to change the system so all of you know what is going on instead of the chaos of the past.
    • One concern: “If this is your 5th year, will you be ahead of seniors?” Yes, you will receive a better draw number than the rest.
  • Campus Kitty with Alex Graddy-Reed
    • Campus Kitty week is April 3-11! Get ready.  
  • Environmental Concerns Committee with Wendell Cathcart and Katherine Roehm
    • Screened “Who Killed the Electric Car” last night!
    • First bill from Dining Services—about $400. Discretionary Proposal coming soon.
    • Tuesday, Feb 24 at 7:00 Burrow Cup publicity event—The company that provides the cups will come to demonstrate their items and display info on cups; personally designed temporary tattoos; the Root Café in LR with root beer floats and possibly homemade ice cream! Come for a good, educational time!
  • Academic Policy with Samantha Bode
    • Meeting on Thursday!
    • Any more thoughts on Maymester, winter/summer break issues, etc… holler at Sam 
  • Finance Committee with Alex Graddy-Reed
    • Final Salaries Review and Recommendation (see below)—it passes!
      • Salaries have been discussed and are based on the amount of work that each position entails.
      • Campus Kitty Chair was recommended to be paid for the first time (Campus Kitty promotes some huge events and it all goes to charity!), just like ECC was paid for the first time this year. Great work pays off. 
  • Student and Academic Concerns Committee with Samantha Bode and Jayce Hafner  
  • Communications Committee with Kristi Vo
    • Corey Nesbit and Sarah Richardson Guessed those Senators—Chance McDermott (I love judo, music, and poker. I’m into sci-fi books like the Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Ender’s Game. And the one thing I can’t live without—JUSTICE) and Derek Cash (I’m involved with IT, I love to complain, Jurassic Park is my favorite movie, and I can’t live without Long John Silver’s) respectively. Corey and Sarah will receive 5 Burrow Bucks each AND a huge senate cup. High five!
    • Amendment Proposal to Section V (see below)—it fails. To be revisited at a later time.
    • Debate and discussion about amendment
      -If other committee chairs make the commitment to come to the meetings, senators should be committed to getting the word out about those committee events and whatnot.
      -Perhaps have one person write up the events and everyone else can send out their opinionated notes by the old deadline. The problem with this is because many people don’t want to read all of these e-mails. You could just copy and paste the events from these minutes
      -Class and housing senators—everyone gets about two sets of notes to guarantee that each student is receiving senate notes.
    • People have been complaining about the pool table and pool table items—how do you feel about Senate and Student Activities sharing the responsibility to keep up with this? Exec will replace the tips!
    • Hey Senators, please pay attention to what is being said in meetings and the spirit that it is being said for the meetings to be accurately demonstrated. If you feel there is any ambiguity in details/facts/etc, refer to these minutes, shoot Karla or Jim an e-mail, or give us a call. Apologies if I’m not catching every single detail… but I try!


  • Committee on Committees with Will Green
    • Applications still available for Welcome Week Chair and Shirttails Serenade Committee Chair—only one completed application has been turned inso far. Please get these in as soon as possible.
    • Meeting March 5th 4:30 pm location TBA about student committee position information for any interested students who want to be involved!


  • Executive Committee with BJ Fogleman
    • Board of Trustees meeting Friday! STLC will be discussed. BJ will make the Southwest concerns known that students don’t feel comfortable with it that our opinions need to be taken into account more.
    • Subcommittee of Student Life Committee—Parking Policy Review Committee to take a look at the parking issue—calling for 2 students to serve on this committee. NOTE: this is NOT the Parking Appeals Committee. This is a committee that will make recommendations to Public Safety about parking issues.
    • For those people parking on the streets—it is against the law to park against the flow of traffic.
    • “Is it true that you can park in a service spot after hours or on weekends?” NO. Sorry. You may possibly be towed OR ticketed.
    • Election Code says: General elections are supposed to be held 2nd Tuesday of March. Should elections be earlier or later in Spring Term? After Spring Break would make more sense. Election Commissioner will check more into this.  

VI. Unfinished Business

  • VZ MDC Rep? 

VII. New Business 

VIII. Adjournment until February 17th, 2009  

Clean up: Galloway, Raney, Veasey


Salary Recommendations


President- $1500 to $1912.49

Vice President-$1500 to $1650

Treasurer-$1500 to $1650

Presidential Assistant-$1500 to $1650

Secretary- $1500 to $1650

Academic Policy- $1500 remain



Chair- $1925 to $1500

Profile Editor- $1925 to $1900

Associate Editors- $1400

Yearbook Editors- $1200 to $1000

Aonian Editor- $1300 remain

Associate Editor- $650 remain

KHDX Manager- $1500 remain

Program Director-$1100 to $1000


Social: Remain

Chair- $1925

Films and Special Events- $1425

Music and Dance- $1425

Treasurer- $1425

Sound and Logistics- $1425

Publicity- $1425



MDC Chair- $1425 to $1300

ECC Chair- $1000 to $1300

Campus Kitty Chair- $0 to $1000



Amendment Proposal to Section V, Part C of the Bylaws deadline to send out notes (currently set at noon on Saturday; see Revised Bylaws below)—Thursday at midnight (no later than 12:01 AM Friday morning)

-Not just to get the word out about time sensitive events, but about the meetings in general (issues, important happenings on campus, concerns, etc.).
-This will give your constituents more time to respond or at least think about issues that have been brought up, and you ample time to take their responses/thoughts (if they even reply) and prepare for meetings.
-Some senators believe a time before Saturday at noon will cause the quality of their notes to suffer, but everyone is busy—“if you have an hour on Sat morning you have an hour Tues, Wed., Thurs, or you could just bring your computer and type them during the meeting like Will did.” –Someone on Senate
-Some of you are very diligent in putting your own opinions, thoughts, and complimentary information into your notes, and that’s awesome. Keep up the great work. But basically, you have time for what you make time for, and this new deadline will assure that both you and your constituents have communicated the information of the meeting in a timely manner—who really reads their notes/e-mails on a Saturday afternoon anyhow? And what good does it do after events and whatnot have already occurred?
-And other reasons as discussed at the ComCom meeting
-Set of event notes due Friday at midnight and set of your subjective notes due at the regular Saturday at noon??



A. Attendance

1. Senators are required to represent their respective student constituency to the best of their ability. This requires not only attendance at meetings but also active participation in both official and unofficial Senate obligations.

2. Attendance of Senate meetings is of paramount importance not only to the Senator, but also to the constituency. Regular Senate meetings, as well as meetings of Senate committees, are important in ensuring Senate's efficiency in dealing with issues that concern the Student Association and the College. Lax attendance of these meetings will not be tolerated.

3. All members of Senate, as defined in Section II, are required to attend every Senate meeting. The Secretary will keep a record of attendance at each meeting. It is the responsibility of the member to notify the Secretary prior to any absence if he or she wishes the absence to be excused. Absences may be excused in cases of college business or personal emergency or if the member arranges a substitute to attend in his or her place.

4. Senators shall attend all meetings of the committees to which they have been appointed. If a Senator is unable to attend a meeting for any reason, he/she shall contact the Chair of that committee before the meeting occurs. The Chair of the respective committee shall enforce this policy and shall deem absences “excused” or “unexcused.” When a Senator accumulates two (2) unexcused absences, the Chair is to notify the Senator and the President in writing of the unexcused absences on the same day the second absence occurred.

5. Any Senator with more than two (2) unexcused absences from regular Senate meetings three (3) or more unexcused committee meeting absences during the course of his/her term of office, he/she shall be subject to removal from office by impeachment.

B. Communication with College Staff and Administration

1. The President may designate any Senator or Officer of the Senate to serve as a liaison with a Hendrix department or staff member. Departments shall include, but not be limited to, Information Technology, Dining Services, Physical Plant, Media Center, Athletics, and Residence Life. The role of the liaison shall be to maintain or develop a positive working relationship with a member of the designated department.

2. No Senator or Officer shall serve as a liaison to more than two (2) departments.

3. The Executive Committee shall serve as a liaison between the Senate and members of the Senior Staff of the College.

C. Communication with Constituents

1. Communication with a Senator's respective student constituency is essential to the proper functioning of Senate. This shall be maintained not only through Senate notes but also through one-on-one interaction with those constituents. All housing representatives shall be responsible for distributing weekly notes. All class representatives shall be responsible for producing class-specific notes to be distributed among the members of their class weekly.

2. The purpose of Senate notes is communication with students. It is of paramount importance that these notes be posted punctually and that they contain information pertinent to that work which the Senate is doing. Therefore, the notes shall accomplish the following things:

  • Encourage communication between Senators and constituents;
  • Accurately reflect information relayed at Senate meetings;
  • Include pertinent information from the official minutes;
  • Be posted by Thursday at Midnight (no later than 12:01 AM Friday morning) following the most recent Senate meeting; and, Be brought to the next week's Senate meeting and turned in to a member of Executive Committee.

3. If a Senator fails to meet the above guidelines four (4) times within his or her term of office, he or she shall be subject to removal from office by impeachment. The Senate Executive Committee shall monitor the punctuality and content of Senate notes according to the above guidelines.