Tuesday October 21st, 2008
6:30 p.m. Mills Library
I. Call to Order
II. Special Business
- Bob Fureigh: Senior Senator filing is open! Will close next Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. and elections will be the following Tuesday like normal.
- 3 open SoCo positions: Clifton, Front Street, Huntington!!! E-mail Bob if you want to file or if you have any questions. FureighRW@hendrix.edu
III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns
- Galloway water fountain was spouting unclean water and it smells really bad.
- The Galloway balcony has a socket but no bulb. Katherine Roehm tried to put a bulb in it, but it is filled with dirt!
- Galloway parlor lamps need bulbs!
- Parking tickets: students have to pay them, but non-students can just get theirs voided by talking to someone in Ellis. Something wrong with this picture? We think so too. Karla is talking to Rick on our behalf.
- Martin ice machine leaked in the entire lobby. It stinks pretty bad in there since the carpets are now full of mildew. Can we get new carpets?
- Increase dinner hot lunch to 6:45 since athletes’ practice runs until 6:30ish, and by then dinner is no longer being served. Coaches are supposed to call the café to let them know if practice runs over. Can we not have the café hot lunch open until around 6:45 at least? Maybe we need coaches to be a little more proactive in calling the café. Karla will visit with Mike Flory and/or the athletic director.
IV. Departmental Liaison Reports
- WAC advisory meeting on Thursday. Holler at Mac if you have any suggestions to make the WAC better than it already is! BarnesMC@hendrix.edu
V. Committee Reports
- Media Committee with Fraser Holmes
- Profile meeting tomorrow to discuss recent issues. Fraser will let you know if the public is welcome to come or not.
- KHDX is getting started! E-mail Becca Mayeux (MayeuxRE@hendrix.edu) if you are having any issues.
- Yearbooks were delivered yesterday and will be distributed around this time next week.
- Seniors, get your photos in!!! E-mail will be sent to entire senior class saying what you need to do about your senior section.
- Multicultural Development Committee with Ashley Easter
- Thanks for funding us going to NACA!
- Spring programming is in progress!
- Cultural thing in February and something else in March. Holler at Ronni for more details, but they are actually on the way!
- Social Committee with Jake Eddington
- Adding new apartment positions on the way!
- Publicity is being completely retooled. Publicity timelines, subcommittees are being reformed, and the budget has been reviewed.
- We have cancelled some events: no more movie nights… other clubs can do that. 4 Trivia nights instead of 8, and these will also be revamped!
- We have 14,000 extra dollars which will be put toward one band and one magician and etc. in the spring!
- Friday, October 24: Walk-in Movie night! Showing Studio 54 at 8:00 p.m. AND Pineapple Express at 10:00 p.m. Be there.
- Don’t forget about SoCo 54 on Saturday, November 22!
- Volunteer Action Committee with Larnie Campbell
- Max Nguyen is leading this Service Saturday! E-mail NguyenMV@hendrix.edu
- Conway Human Development Center: Interior and exterior work, maybe yard work, basically anything they need you to do. 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 25. Meet at the bell at 8 am sharp!
- T-shirts are on the way and they are AWESOME.
- Campus Kitty with Alex Graddy-Reed
- Kitty Runs Wild Fun 2.5 mile Run/Walk at 4:00 p.m. this Saturday, Oct. 25th starting at the WAC.
- Visit the sunporch during lunch ALL week. $5 registration fee, $10 to register + T-shirt. If you miss the sunporch this week and wait until the last minute, you can still register the day of the race. HOWEVER, it will be $10 to register and then $15 to register + T-shirt.
- Check in is 2:30 p.m. on Saturday at the WAC!
- Environmental Concerns Committee with Wendell Cathcart and Katherine Roehm
- Meeting this week! Thursday, Oct. 23 in Mills C at 7:00 p.m. Environmental changes on campus will be discussed. Get involved!
- Last week we found out that Conway is recycling plastics 1-7 instead of just 1 and 2.
- Academic Policy with Samantha Bode
- Anticipated meeting on Thursday gender studies minor and etc.
- E-mail Sam any other suggestions, concerns, etc!
- Education department: follow up as well.
- Student and Academic Concerns Committee with Jayce Hafner and Samantha Bode
- Sam e-mailed Will about the Constitutional Review Committee…
- Student Internships are going well?
- Jayce unfortunately has mono and will not be here, but will still be active!
- Finance Committee with Alex Graddy-Reed
- Couch Hall $975.00 for Jungle Boogie, this Saturday in the Brick Pit!
Break down: Security: $600 + Fencing $125 + T-shirts $250 = Total: $975 APPROVED: $975.00!
- By the way, Couch Hall agreed to conduct their own elections last year, but no one voted so the acting hall council is not exactly official. Ratification and recognition of the acting Couch Hall Council as the official Couch Hall Council despite this past spring’s absence of an election… PASSED!
- Communications Committee with Kristi Vo
- T-shirts will be ordered soon after you guys see the design. I’ll send you guys an attachment with the design once our designer gets it to me…
- Rotational meeting intending to be November 4! Location TBA.
- Committee on Committees with Nick Balée
- Executive Committee with BJ Fogleman
- Thursday is the Board Meeting! Is there anything really pressing that you would like BJ to speak about? Holler at BJ with anything you have.
- Study rooms in dormitory halls are occupied by residents as their living space. Derek suggests having those rooms go back to their name’s sake in the future.
- Parking issue is going to increase as we move forward.
- Can we get more money?
- Extra Apartment Senator, Village Senator—amendments to constitution on its way!
- Sam Nichols—he’s STILL getting back to BJ about the Language and Eco House. And internet? Sorry if you are still having problems…
VII. New Business
- Council on Residence Life: Bob resigned from this position last year, and Mac agrees to take it over. He will keep up with hall council elections and any issues with ResLife. Holler.
VIII. Adjournment until September October 28th, 2008
Clean up: Martin, Hardin, Couch