Tuesday April 1, 2008
6:30 p.m. Mills Library
I. Call to Order
II. Special Business
III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns
- Forum on Shirttails THIS Thursday! Encourage everyone to go! They will receive the Shirttails Document and Contracts as discussed below.
- Thursday is also Faculty Appreciation Day! Convocation time (11:10) in Staples. Come and honor those who are retiring.
- Friday Night Stix: Free hot dogs, T-shirts, thundersticks, lacrosse and field hockey demonstrations… fireworks at 9:30 and Alice 107.7 will be here!
IV. Departmental Liaison Reports
V. Committee Reports
- Multicultural Development Committee with James Murray
- Social Committee with Sam Jackson
- Saturday is the big relay! A number of teams have signed up, but they’ll have the Wikipedia open until tomorrow, so you still have a chance to enter! Have your teams ready to go at 1:50 pm at the lacrosse field. E-mail email@example.com immediately if you have any questions/concerns/etc.
- Hendrix After-Dark event on April 6th will include karaoke from 7:30-9:30 in the Burrow for incoming freshman. Come out to meet some upcoming new students!!!
- Trivia Night in the Burrow on Tuesday, April 8 at 8:30.
- Anese, a slam poet, will be here at 8:30 on Wednesday, April 9 in the Burrow!!!
- Volunteer Action Committee with Katie Pratt
- Media Committee with Megan Wooley
- Media Committee wants the Associate Editor of the AONIAN to be a paid position because Chief Editor is a position that has a bit too much to handle for one person. Media Committee asked for only $200 from Senate to bump up the salary so it can be split between the two positions (Chief Editor is currently paid $1300, but with the extra $200, they can split the salary with $1000 to the Editor and $500 for the Associate). If approved, both positions would be open for filing. Approval will change the Bylaws. Motion to pass… APPROVED: $200!!!
- Opening up filing for two Troubadour editors, the Associate Editor and Editor of the Aonian, KHDX chair, any other exec Media Committee positions… contact Megan Wooley for more information! firstname.lastname@example.org
- Encourage everyone to send their photos for THIS YEAR’S yearbook to Jordan Kennedy!!! email@example.com
- Council on Residence Life with Bob Fureigh
- Hall Elections opening soon!
- Campus Kitty with Hina Mehta
- Campus Kitty Week is over! Great success: $41,864 was raised for charities!!!
- After Alumni Weekend, ask students to submit their artwork for an auction of which they will receive some (80-90%?) of the profit back. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Environmental Concerns Committee with Maggie McKinney
- Academic Policy with Samantha Bode
- Meeting Thursday. If you need anything, let Sam know!
- Student and Academic Concerns Committee with Jayce Hafner and Samantha Bode
- E-mail Jayce if you have any ideas for SACC! Meeting soon.
- Finance Committee with Alex Graddy-Reed (We have $13,700 for rest of the year)
- Retreat to learn about budgetary process!
- Committee meeting will be 8-10 pm in senate office tomorrow.
- Young Democrats Proposal: They need $615.52 for four rooms in the Legacy Hotel in LR, where about 15 students will be staying for the annual state convention held April 18-20. They are paying their own registration fees, transportation costs, and meals. Motion to pass… APPROVED: $615.52!!!
- Communications Committee with Kristi Vo
- Town Criers: several people have shown interest. Dr. Bell said Wednesdays and Fridays at noon would be great since he would most likely be accessible to open the balcony doors for us. We want to get started this Friday, but Bell may not let us until next fall. The criers will probably rotate each week. Communications Committee, plan to meet and choose criers!
- Committee on Committees with Nick Balée
- Extension of filing for committee chairs (SoCo, Campus Kitty, MDC, ECC, and Media) until Thursday at 6:30 pm. Contact Nick at BaleeNB@hendrix.edu
- Executive Committee with BJ Fogleman
VI. Unfinished Business
- Shirttails Contracts updated: addition of clause concerning being filmed/photographed during event and inspected for compliance with criteria outlined in the contracts of the Shirttails Serenade Document (alcohol, appropriate attire, following protocol, etc.). The revised Final Shirttails Document and the Shirttails Contracts have been approved by Senate and will be presented to the faculty by BJ and Lara Assaf.
- What about those students who don’t participate in Shirttails? Ideas for alternate events to be discussed by a new committee. Becca chairs this new committee and Mac and Jacob agree to help. The next faculty meeting is Wednesday, April 16.
- Shirttails is an official Hendrix event to kick off the year for everyone, especially freshmen. Dr. Hardin says that although not a high percentage of the faculty attend it, it is such a huge part of those first couple of weeks, and she and other faculty members do not believe that students are able to be immersed in anything besides Shirttails; she ponders, is Shirttails really what they should be focusing on instead of studies? There is more to it, but this is what was said tonight!
- Try to speak with your professors to ease their views on Shirttails and tell them how much you love it and why! Please keep a neutral, subtle conversation though.
VII. New Business
VIII. Adjournment until April 8th, 2008
Clean up: Martin, Hardin, Couch, Raney