Tuesday September 25, 2007
6:30 p.m. Mills Library
I. Call to Order
II. Special Business
III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns
- Kristi Armstrong – WAC Issues
- Emails from parents not being able to use the WAC during Family Weekend; Ryan Hughes is going to talk about it.
- It is true that tuition money doesn’t go to the WAC or membership… But we’ll see what we can figure out.
- Cache Carter mentioned underwater speakers for the new pool.
- Timothy Pote – Mabee Center hours
- Mabee Center has terrible hours. Ryan is going to ask about it.
- Dylan Moore was wondering why there is a Conway PD Officer sitting on our campus waiting to catch jaywalkers. We invited this officer onto campus because there were too many students (or other people) crossing the street… And they will leave soon because the crosswalk should be here in another week.
- Is there a possibility of getting a crosswalk by Clifton and Tyler to slow down for bikers and walkers? Need to talk to the Street Department, so Dr. Hardin is on it.
- Questions regarding meetings and attendances from Nathan Jeffries: Senate Meetings are always open unless the committee itself chooses to vote to expel members at large from being present.
- Keycard to open Buhler? Supposed to happen but the company who is supposed to be installing those has slowed down and now it is way behind.
IV. Departmental Liaison Reports
· Dylan Moore asked about opening Hulen on some lunches… The response was that they only open it up when there is an overflow in people basically. There is no set schedule or date to open... It just happens?
V. Committee Reports
- Multicultural Development Committee with James Murray
- Block Party on 6th of October; by IT. Student performers will be there.
- Social Committee with Sam Jackson
- Thursday – Grand Opening of WAC (they’re doing something here… later that night on the next bullet is the cool part)
- Jaws Dive-In movie starts at 8
- Musical Showcase on Saturday – if anyone wants to perform, please email Sarah Richardson (email@example.com) with name, group name, song title, etc.
- MARTIN HALL WON FAUX RUSH WEEK!
- Media Committee with Megan Wooley
- KHDX was wondering whether they could play their music in the Dining Hall… Let’s ask our constituents in the notes about whether they would like to hear KHDX in the library.
- Interviews for Assistant Associate Editors on Saturday… Electronic issue on Oct. 5 and then the first Profile issue will be in November.
- Council on Residence Life with Robert Fureigh
- Campus Kitty with Hina Mehta
- “Kitty Runs Wild” – 5k run. Sign-ups Thursday in WAC.
- $5 to run, or $10 to register and get a t-shirt.
- More information and emails to come…
- Environmental Concerns Committee with Maggie McKinney
- Front Street Apartments are up and going for recycling! This is a trial run and its going well we think.
- Friday will hold a meeting about getting the compost bin thing.
- Burrow meeting with “corn cups”, which are completely biodegradable apparently.
- Off-Campus people recycle glass in bins at Front Street; just do not overload it because its going to be too much. The bins are big and grey – 50 gallon containers that say “Glass” on them!
- Cigarette butt pick-up day… perhaps the dorm with the most pick-ups could be the dorm that gets the hopeful glass bin coming!
- Shlok made a moving speech about how ECC is doing such a fantastic job…
- The bike club is bookin’ it and rollin’ with ECC.
- Academic Policy with Katie Pearce
- Working on Student Evaluations of Professors… Ask constituents on “how seriously students take these evaluations?”
- Student and Academic Concerns Committee with BJ Fogleman and Katie Pearce
- Faculty pressure about Shirttails made us draw up choreographer, hall council, and freshman contracts. These contracts would give the rights and responsibilities of each person/entity.
- Overall response from the Arkansas Garden issue said that they do not like it. Several suggestions were made, but a landscape designer is being sought to present new ideas. This is free. Dr. Gatti-Clark knows…
- Finance Committee with Samantha Bode
- Discretionary Proposals
- Ultimate Frisbee – granted $278.28
- Unity – granted $6,200
- Communications Committee with Lin Poff
- Committee on Committees with Shlok Vaidya
- Executive Committee with Will Green
- Drawings for new apartments and Student Center.
- Shirttails situation is dire. Talk to constituents and tell them to get back to BJ and Katie because they are the ones handling this. Parents whined about the dancing; concerns about the length of time of practices and injuries and what the whole shirttails even as a whole represents.
- Faculty pretty much has the ability to say “no more shirttails” and it is done.
- By Charter (the document governing our college), any faculty votes/decisions are the law of the land basically.
- Student Life Committee will also be looking at Toga because there were four transports to the hospital. These are just issues that need to be changed, probably…
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
- Presentation of the Articles of Impeachment of the President of Student Senate Will Green
- The Articles were drawn up by Senators Tim Pote, Drew Ritchey, and Cache Carter.
- Bob left and then Hina left because she had to go to the bathroom. But BJ didn’t know and he was like “oh you don’t have to leave… we aren’t in Exec meeting.” It was pretty funny… you should’ve been there. Oh yeah, you were! Hehe!
- Back to the impeachment talk…
- Jessica points out that the situation with Will Green is a tragic one and we need to consider his position.
- Tim Pote does present the Articles more or less as an opener to having Will Green’s leadership and role as Presiding Officer discussed.
- This is very serious and needs to be dissected and scrutinized very closely.
- Hina and Megan left the meeting.
- Points about whether this was a coup was brought up.
- Points about Cache not knowing why he signed the Articles (and Tim’s frustrated response to that) were made.
- Points about the process and what should happen… whether we should approve the articles and skip some of this talking for the “trial” or not?
- Talk about a substitute probation motion in the stead of the impeachment articles was aroused.
- Dr. Arms said that the Senate should worry about the repercussions of such actions as removing the President of the Student Senate.
- BJ said that the repercussions were certainly there to consider, but there was such a large pull from the student body and even faculty members that they should be considered.
- Julie made a good point about seeing the President as a leader, being non-biased for knowing Will Green and judging him as a person or anything else.
- Bob decided to leave at this point.
- Tim Pote mentioned that he didn’t know about any probation procedures, but he did help quell last semester’s attempts to impeach Will Green… and he started this one.
- Shlok spoke again against rumor of it being a coup because he, along with Tim Pote, actually stopped the impeachment process of Spring Semester last year.
- If we were to try and say that the “potential impeachment” of last semester is immaterial because it was never in the books, we should have technically already accepted the presented Articles because they are factual.
- Another five minute recess was approved to silently or just to chill and debate the final decision of the Articles.
- Sam Jackson left… And I think James Murray is leaving right now as I’m typing this during the recess… Yep, there he goes… and Dylan Moore is chatting on his phone, and Sam Bode came and massaged my shoulders for a few seconds. All the spectators are in the back of the room. I’m the only one still in my seat. Wait, I take that back. Ryan Hughes and Ellie Wheeler are actually in their seats.
- Alright, we’re back in order. Some mess about substitute motions is going on…
- The motion to reject the Articles of Impeachment and suggest probation was accepted with a 7 to 5 vote.
- All in favor of tabling until next week… lots of ayes and Dylan Moore and Shelby Harrell said nay! Sooo… it was tabled.
- The writers of the Articles, all execs – Drew, Tim, and Cache, Ryan, and Dylan Moore will work on the probation that has been tabled and will be addressed next week regarding probation terms for Mr. President.
VIII. Adjournment until October 2, 2007
Clean up: Houses, Apartments, Off-Campus