Tuesday September 11, 2007
6:30 p.m. Mills Library
I. Call to Order
II. Special Business
· Election Commission - Voting Results
o Elizabeth Akama-Makia – Galloway MDC Rep
o Bee Lyons – Galloway SoCo Rep
o Amy Newman – Veasey MDC Rep
o Krysti Vo – Veasey SoCo Rep
o Chelsea Payne – Raney SoCo Rep
o Anthony Lucio – Hardin MDC Rep
o Jose Bautista – Hardin SoCo Rep
o Mackenzie Lloyd – Senior SoCo Rep
o Jayce Hafner – Freshman Senator
o Lydia Nash – Athletic SoCo Rep
o Ruanda McFerren – Raney MDC Rep
o Amelia Wildenburg – Freshman SoCo Rep
III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns
· Complaints about school getting larger.
· Scared about slipping paper underneath doors to trigger the motion-detector alarm. Lacey will talk to ResLife about this.
· Construction noise – we’re thinking about getting some soundproof fencing. Cache is in favor of it, that’s for sure!
· First floor Martin air control has been broken in the hallway and bathroom. And they want more air back. Cache and Lacey will figure it out!
· Concern over the name of the WAC came up.
IV. Departmental Liaison Reports
· Arkansas Garden responses: some wanted it to change, but most other responses were to keep the garden as it was. Please forward your responses to BJ.
V. Committee Reports
- Elections Commission with Amanda Brooks
- Multicultural Development Committee with James Murray
- Latin dance September 15 in Brick Pit at 9 p.m.
- September 24 is the movie BABEL showing in the Burrow from 8:00-10:30
- MDC and Project Pericles are bringing another Little Rock integration leader, as well as a Founder of the Arkansas Organization of CURE (Rehabilitation of Prisoners/Ex-Cons). She will be here October 4 from 12:10-1:00 in the Burrow.
- Social Committee with Sam Jackson
- Faux Rush Week next week:
- Monday – Old School at 8 in Burrow
- Tuesday – Northside rush 6:00-7:30
- Wednesday – sensory overload festival-type thing. Inflatable’s + food = great fun for everyone!
- Thursday – Southside rush
- Friday – Campus-wide Lip-Sync contest; looking for at least one team from each dorm. Encouraged to sign up. Only 15 spots available!
- Saturday – FOAM PARTY!!!
- WINNING DORM GETS $500!!!
- Media Committee with Megan Wooley
- Troubadour and Aonian have applications out for Editors and Committee Positions that are open.
- Profile situation: Hiring Managing and Associative Editors (email Megan Wooley or Rainey Gibson)
- Possibly revamping the Profile and having better featured articles
- Have maybe a monthly issue beginning next semester
- First real edition comes out November and picks up in Spring Semester
- PUT IN NOTES: HIRING PEOPLE AND WANT NEW IDEAS. EMAIL NEW IDEAS!
- Council on Residence Life with Robert Fureigh
- Double-checking about getting all dorm information in… but he thinks it is all good.
- Cache Carter is going to talk to Physical Plant and Ryan Hughes will keep on keeping those sweet notes in the sweet bathroom.
- Campus Kitty with Hina Mehta
- No Haunted House this year, so a Campus Kitty 5K race is going to go down outside the race at 5:00 p.m. on October 5, 2007.
- Environmental Concerns Committee with Maggie McKinney
- Retreat was postponed, but they’re on for this weekend!
- Meeting with Judy Jones helped get a trial program started for recycling glass mostly on Southside areas (Couch, Front street, etc.) Front Street bins are outside Apt. 6 and 21 on the backside. Houses have one between McCreight and Dickinson, Couch has one on every floor.
- Talk about getting portable ashtrays for people who are just too lazy to get up from the oh-so-comfy Pecan Court chairs.
- Recycling at Front street for paper and stuff is getting talked about too.
- Campus-wide “Cigarette-butt clean-up” is something Maggie would like to see happen, but realized the unlikeliness of it. That would be fun though!
- We need to educate dorms about not confusing recycle bins with trashcans because they really won’t take
- Owen Wilkerson is the Recycle man on the job; he’s lining up the rides every week and stuff like that.
- Off-Campus students are welcome to recycle by using the Physical Plant recycle bin (behind the building).
- Glass cannot be taken to the EcoHouse… Too messy
- Academic Policy with Katie Pearce
- Adding a new member to the Registrar Office
- Campus Web will soon be able to show you (seniors) your audit.
- Concerns about school increase – forward to Katie. Meeting coming up there.
- Student and Academic Concerns Committee with BJ Fogleman and Katie Pearce
- Emails to forward about Arkansas Garden to BJ
- Finance Committee with Samantha Bode
- RLC – Total after 2nd Allotment = $2,590.00
- Future Investors – Total after 2nd Allotment = $1,550.00
- PBL – Total after 2nd Allotment = $2,900.00
- Troubadour – Total after 2nd Allotment = $40,000.00
- Frisbee – Total after 2nd Allotment = $7,700.00
- Alpha Psi Omega – Total after 2nd Allotment = $800.00
- SHARP – Total after 2nd Allotment = $1,802.84
- MDC – Total after 2nd Allotment = $16,875.00
- $11,465 allotted this second FinCom meeting.
- With “numbers” projected from last year, we still have $62,000 in discretionary.
- To get a discretionary proposal in, the Senate Website hosts a request that should be sent to Sam Bode at least 2 days before the next Senate Meeting so it can be read and presented.
- Communications Committee with Lin Poff
- Committee on Committees with Shlok Vaidya
- Meeting with Welcome Week
- The MDC thing is being worked on because groups WILL be met with.
- Something like that is going down with RLC too.
- We’re looking into problems between appointing people and they’re wanting to be involved or not or being x’ed by the Admin.
- Going to work closer with JRC.
- Executive Committee with Will Green
- One washer on Southside working? All were working except for one in Couch. Circuitry might be wrong, coin machines might be full? If the machines are NOT working, call the number on the machine and send an email to ResLife. Talk about getting a coin machine is going around. Also, this is supposed to be the last year in contract with the same company, and thoughts of implementing the OneCard to pay for laundry is being worked.
- Maggie is going to meet and work on getting water-efficient machines.
- It’s not that the washers and driers are not turning on and churning, but it is that the machines do not WORK.
- Email Dr. Hardin and talk to RA’s and get the word about washer/driers to the Administration. Probably Buhler.
VI. Unfinished Business
- Budget Approval? I think we just approved it!
- President Cloyd is willing to come back because we’re limited to 5 minutes for questions.
- We’re very early in the process of getting a new Residence Hall. Options include a Normal Dorm, Suite Dorm, Houses-Dorm thing. Opportunities are endless.
- Geothermal and environmentally friendly building is really being considered.
- 1,225 head-count right now. Board wants 1,300 grand total.
- Trying to keep the student-to-faculty ratio.
- As far as disruption and noise for the future years of construction go, it is going to be loud. We’ll just have to deal with it.
- Feb. 2008 and June of 2009 should be the work schedule for Harkrider… It is probably going to be the loudest and most disruptive of all construction.
- “What is in the long-term best advantage for the college?” is the question that the football committee must ask itself.
- Students on Committee: Molly Morton, Cal Rose, A.J. Berna, and Laura Broederdorf
- No Smoking Proposal
- Talk about whether a punishment should be $100 or $20? Escalating fines could work?
- Point about not liking the “blanket sheet”, non-specific policy made just for Hendrix.
- Idea about enforcing policies already set up instead of changing to this campus-wide ban thing.
- 1. Where does the money from the fine go? 2. Why attack just smoking? We all know there are other things on campus that go on too. Number third: who is going to enforce this on faculty members and guests? ~Shlok
- Communication is a good point – people need to know WHAT the dealio is.
- “Wait wait… If I say ‘aye’, does that mean I’m saying ‘no’?” ~Nick
- Motion to not accept the new policy but work with the current one on campus.
- Please put in notes about NOT WALKING ACROSS HARKRIDER STREETS. “Don’t be stupid and run through traffic… on a HIGHWAY.”
VII. New Business
VIII. Adjournment until September 18, 2007
Clean up: Veasey, Raney, Galloway