Update: April 2, 2021
We have been approved to host HYI on the Hendrix College
campus for week one (June 13-18). After conversations with Hendrix
administration and with leaders/hosts in the travel area, we have
also discerned that we can safely travel during week 2 (June
19-25)! Our destination is or we will travel to
Birmingham, Alabama and a few surrounding areas for a week of service and Civil
Rights history and reflection. We're excited and grateful for this
Summary of the HYI 2021 experience: A week on the
Hendrix campus featuring classes on Wesleyan theology and history and biblical
studies, food and fellowship time, mission and theme days, worship, and an
opportunity to explore the many ways to be in ministry in the UMC. Week 2: Mission
trip to Birmingham!
We are encouraged by continued vaccine rollouts
and declining numbers of cases, and will continue to monitor the situation
closely as we plan. Applicants and their parents will be updated regularly with
information and instructions about safety protocols.
We are also extending our application deadline
to Monday, April 12! If you are a high school sophomore or junior
thinking about ministry and church leadership, we encourage you to apply! If
you are a friend, mentor, pastor/youth pastor, or parent of one-- please share
and encourage them to apply!
Check here for continued updates, and see linktr.ee/CCCL for more links to our flyers, past
participant videos, and information.
If you are interested in serving as a college
mentor, apply here
by April 16.
June 13-25, 2021
The Hendrix Youth Institute (HYI) program will help rising high school juniors and seniors discern their call for ministry and specifically introduce participants to ordained and professional ministry. Using a holistic approach, the program will incorporate the “head, heart, and hands” to enable youth to understand God’s call.
The HYI experience will include:
- Two morning classes relating to the Institute’s yearly theme, “Bible” and “Wesleyan Studies.”
- Afternoons engaged in service work or shadowing church professionals.
- Worship, small group Bible study, spiritual gift/discernment exercises, and time for fun and fellowship.
- An Orientation to Ministry event sponsored by the Arkansas Conference Board of Ordained Ministry.
- A mission trip in which participants will work together, building relationships with those they serve and learning from one another.
The only cost to participants is a $100 refundable deposit.
HYI participants will also attend a one-day winter retreat in Little Rock that includes a service project and time of reflection.
Participants who are admitted to Hendrix will be reviewed for Hendrix Academic and Odyssey scholarships and may apply for a United Methodist Youth Leadership Scholarship. Grants are also available for certified candidates in the United Methodist Church.
To Print Application click
Important Dates and Information:
- April 2- Applications due
- April 14- Applicants notified regarding acceptance to HYI
- April 23- All forms and a check for a $100 deposit* due from accepted applicants to hold a spot at HYI
*Checks will only be deposited if an accepted applicant does not attend HYI.
For more information contact:
Rev. Ellen Alston
1600 Washington Ave.
Conway, Arkansas 72032-3080