Career Overview for Economics and Business
The Economics and Business Department encourages critical thinking and problem solving through the analysis and interpretation of data across our courses. We address real world phenomena through business strategy simulations, case studies, creating and applying models, and financial statement analysis. Our courses give students a framework to examine all aspects of conflicting ideas objectively. We provide opportunities for students to learn professionalism and manage their future
careers and network through internships, guest speakers, collaborations with Career Services, and advising.
Internship & Career Exploration
Recent internships done by majors:
- SMU Athletics, Dallas, TX
- Southwest Media Group, Dallas, TX
- El Zocalo Immigrant Resource Center, Little Rock, AR
- Heifer International, Kigali, Rwanda
- Mary Kay, Inc. Corporate HQ, Addison, TX
- Better Business Bureau, Little Rock, AR
- Blue Canoe Brewing Company, Little Rock, AR
- Faulkner County Juvenile Court, Conway, AR
- Denman, Hamilton, & Associates CPA, LLC, Little Rock, AR
- U.S. Department of Commerce, Arkansas Export Assistance Center, Little Rock, AR
- Ferguson Cobb & Assoc. Certified Public Accountants, Little Rock, AR
- Frost PLLC, Corporate Office, Little Rock, AR
- City of Hope Outreach, Conway, AR
Our former students are analysts, consultants, auditors, financial advisors, managers, educators, attorneys, and entrepreneurs. They work in fields such as operations, marketing, public and private accounting, environmental services, and technology. Our alums are currently working as CEOs, Presidents, CFOs, Directors, Founders, and Developers.
You may also find the “What can I do with this Major” database helpful. Click the link above to access this resource.
Employment & Graduate School
Our graduates in the last 3 years have gone to work at companies such as Advantage Solutions, Apptegy, Axxys Technologies, Baeyens Hauk Vet Group, Call Box, Corporate Insight Strategy, the Saarland Hurricanes football team, Tyson Foods, Whittaker Mountaineering, and Windstream Communications.
Recent graduates from our Master of Arts in Accounting Program are employed by KPMG, Ernst & Young, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Frost, PLLC, BKD, and Holtzman Partners.
Graduate and Professional School
Graduates from the Economics and Business department pursue many different degree programs. Our students have had great success in law school, PhD programs, Master’s Programs (MBA, MA/MS in Accounting and Economics) and Public Policy programs.
Recent graduates have attended PhD or Masters programs at Duke University, Southern Methodist University, University of Houston, Texas A&M University, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Washington University, Hendrix College, the University of North Carolina, Colorado State University, and Louisiana State University.
Our graduates within the past 3 years have gone to law school at the University of Arkansas, Gonzaga University School of Law, the William H. Bowen School of Law, Southern Methodist University Law School, and University of Memphis School of Law.
Examples from recent graduates Since 2010
- Senior Financial Analyst at Stone Bank
- Director of Operations at Midland RockHounds, Minor League Baseball
- Process Analyst of Media Operations at Collective Bias
- Senior Data Scientist at Walmart Labs
- Senior Policy Analyst at Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families
- Financial Analyst at Harvard Wealth Management
- Digital Marketing Strategist & Consultant
- Co-Founder at Misunderstood Whiskey Co.
- Senior Capabilities Manager at Microsoft
- Budget Analyst at State of Arkansas - Secretary of State
- Sales Enablement Manager at Levelset
Examples of graduates before 2010
- Director at Windstream Communications
- Partner at Knapp, Craig, & Rugg, PA
- President of Lumber1 Home Center
- President and Chief Executive Officer of Uniti Group Inc.
- CFO at Medical City Plano and Medical City Frisco
- Customer Vice President at Campbell Soup Company
- Biostatistician, Harvard Medical School