The Department of Politics and International Relations encourages students to:
- Develop of critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills with primary reference to political science and the social sciences more generally.
- Become familiar with the major concepts and theoretical traditions in political science.
- Gain exposure to and familiarity with the content of the five subfields in political science: methodology, American politics, political theory/philosophy, international relations/global politics, and comparative politics.
- Gain exposure to the inter- and multi-disciplinary nature of the study of political, economic, and social phenomena.
- Enhance oral and written communication competencies.
- Prepare for engaged citizenship.