Charter School Leadership Institute

Charter Leadership Discussion Board

Welcome to the Charter Leadership Institute Discussion Board.

RSS Feed Print
Applying Instructional Leadership to Charterville
James Jennings
Posted: Tuesday, November 7, 2006

What are some instructional strategies that we discussed on Saturday, November 4 (2006), that you can apply to Charterville? Name at least one and explain why it is likely to help Charterville.

Dionne Jackson
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006

I was not really familiar with some of the curriculum packages that were mentioned, but I am an advocate for practice, whether it is in class or for homework. As a science teacher, I realized early on that it was important for my students to be able to practice what they were learning. Honestly, for most of my students this practice occurred during class and not after school because most of them had situations at home that prohibited them from completing homework.

I think practice will be key for Charterville because it is difficult to be literate or do well in math classes without daily practice. Are there any charter schools that extend the school day in order to provide opportunities for students to complete homework and receive assistance if necessary? It seems as if Charterville might benefit from an extended day that would allow after school support.

James Jennings
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Were going to look at some KIPP schools in Session Three. KIPP thrives on the extended day concept. In Session Four we will probably take a closer look at some curriculum packages such as Core Knowledge, etc. I think youll enjoy both sessions.