Dr. Joe B. Hatcher assumed the office as the eighth president of Hendrix College.
During the next decade, faculty salaries were increased considerably.
A 7'5", 160 lb. mounted alligator gar was given to the Biology Department. It
is still on display.
The Administration Building constructed in 1890 was destroyed by a fire caused
by an electrical malfunction.
Changing Times magazine listed Hendrix as one on of the 50 "best buys"
in academic excellence in the U.S.
Hendrix celebrated the 100th anniversary of the purchase of Central Collegiate
Institute by the Arkansas Methodist Church with a series of convocations, visitations
and publications, including a centennial history of the school.