History of Hendrix



The college's named reverted to Hendrix after the Board of Trustees' decision to name the school "Trinity College" was met with strong opposition from students and alumni.

Hendrix opened a new science building made possible by a grant from the General Education Board of New York.

Hendrix bought a 168-acre farm east of campus.


Hendrix began a 13-year experiment with student local fraternities and sororities. The first Greek fraternities included Delta Alpha, Tau Omega, Delta Kappa Alpha and Kappa Phi along with the sororities Beta Phi, Theta Mu and Kappa Kappa Kappa.


Galloway Woman's College in Searcy "merged" with Hendrix.

Galloway Hall, the fourth major structure on campus, was completed and was the first Hendrix structure built specifically to house women.

Galloway 1933


Hendrix celebrated the 50-year anniversary of the purchase of Central Collegiate Institute by the Arkansas Methodist Episcopal Church, South conferences.


After five years of student agitation, social dancing was permitted on campus. The first dance was held on campus.


The year brought the merging of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist Episcopal, South and the Methodist Protestant Church to form the Methodist Church.