For the third and final time, Hendrix dropped intercollegiate football and began
concentrating on basketball as the major sport.
Grove Physical Education Building, with an indoor swimming pool, replaced the
wooden Axley Gymnasium built in 1926. Swimming became an important recreational
and intercollegiate activity for Hendrix students.
Trieschmann Fine Arts Building was opened.
Boxcars loaded with beer derail in front of Millar Hall.
Hardin Hall was completed as a male residence hall.
The Board of Trustees authorized the admission committee to admit any qualified
student "regardless of race, color or national origin."
In April, Hendrix students received state-wide praise for their assistance to
Arkansas Children's Colony youngsters after a tornado hit the Colony campus.
In September, the first black students enrolled at Hendrix.
Hendrix awards seven honorary degrees at one time.
College authorities ended "hazing" of Hendrix freshmen by upper class students.
Compulsory chapel attendance was discontinued.
With generous financial assistance from the Ford Foundation, O.C. Bailey Library,
a two-story underground facility, opened; the former library was renovated and expanded
as the Buhler Biology Building; the Reynolds Science Building was renovated for
the chemistry, physics and mathematics departments; and Veasey Hall became the third
residence hall for female students.
Hendrix inaugurated a new calendar with three terms (fall, winter, and spring)
during the academic year. Students enrolled in three courses per term, focusing
on fewer courses at one time and getting a fresh start three times a year.
Dr. Roy B. Shilling, Jr., succeeded Marshall T. Steel as the seventh president
of the college.
Students were added to committees overseeing the hiring of new faculty members.
Student enrollment exceeded 900 with a faculty of 51.
Millar Hall is razed.
Students put President Shilling in the fountain on his birthday.