CONWAY, Ark. (August 12, 2014) – Hendrix College Associate Provost and mathematics professor Dr. David Sutherland recently received Pi Mu Epsilon’s C. C. MacDuffee Award Distinguished Service Award.
The award has been given only 16 times since 1965. Sutherland was presented a plaque and a citation praising his "gentle leadership" in difficult times and for contributions including digitizing decade’s worth of journals and traveling to 14 states on
behalf of Pi Mu Epsilon.
Sutherland, a 1981 Hendrix graduate, joined the Hendrix faculty in 1992. He was inducted into the Arkansas Beta Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon as a Hendrix student in 1979. In 2014, he finished his term as Past President of PME after 15 years of exceptional
service on the PME Council.
“David has always been a wonderful friend and colleague, and his enthusiasm for Pi Mu Epsilon has been quite infectious,” said Hendrix mathematics professor Dr. Duff Campbell. “I have stopped by his office any number of times in the last several years
only to find he was away visiting an existing Pi Mu Epsilon chapter, or helping to establish a new chapter. This award is richly deserved.”
Pi Mu Epsilon is dedicated to the promotion of mathematics and recognition of students who successfully pursue mathematical understanding. To promote mathematics, the National Pi Mu Epsilon Council sponsors an annual conference in conjunction with the
Mathematics Association of America’s (MAA) annual MathFest.
Founded in 1876, Hendrix College is a national leader in engaged liberal arts and sciences education. For the sixth consecutive year, Hendrix was named one of the country’s “Up and Coming” liberal arts colleges by U.S.
News and World Report. Hendrix is featured in the latest edition of Colleges That Change Lives: 40 Schools That Will
Change the Way You Think about Colleges, as well as the 2014 Princeton Review’s
The Best 378 Colleges, Forbes magazine's list of America's Top Colleges, and the 2014 Fiske Guide to Colleges. Hendrix has been affiliated with the United
Methodist Church since 1884. For more information, visit