CONWAY, Ark. (September 20, 2012) - Hendrix College Family Weekend 2012 will be Friday, Sept. 28 - Sunday, Sept. 30.
Fall Weekend 2012 is sponsored by the Office of Alumni & Constituent Engagement. For more information, contact Christa Davis, director of parent engagement, at 501-505-2961 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Among this year's Family Weekend 2012 events are:
Friday, Sept. 28
- Classroom Visits for Selected Classes, 8:10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Sample the College's nationally recognized academic programs by attending a class. Ask your student to check with professors before you attend.
- Registration, 8:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. in The Burrow, Student Life and Technology Center (SLTC). Check-in at our hospitality table and pick up the schedule of events and other goodies.
- Black/Orange Intra-squad Swim Meet, 4:15 p.m. in the Courtway Swimming Pool.
- L'Étranger Mystérieux (The Mysterious Stranger), 6 p.m. in Cabe Theatre. A funny story with a positive message about being nice to people who are not like you. This play for the whole family was developed by Associate Professor Ann Muse and Visiting Assistant Professor Brigitte Rogers, and co-sponsored by Hendrix - Murphy Foundation. Free to the public and no reservations required.
- Faculty Folk Music Performance, 7 p.m. at Market Square, The Village at Hendrix. Listen to folk music performances by our talented Hendrix professors. Rain site is Reves Recital Hall.
- Family Game Night, 8:30 p.m. in The Burrow, SLTC. Compete in a friendly family competition and win great prizes, hosted by Residence Life.
Saturday, Sept. 29
- Registration, 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. in The Burrow, SLTC. Check-in at our hospitality table and pick up the schedule of events and other goodies.
- Coffee with Faculty & Staff, 8:30 - 9:45 a.m. at Butler Plaza Fountain. Rain site is Trieschmann Gallery. Get to know Hendrix faculty and staff while enjoying coffee and pastries by the fountain.
- Family Weekend Convocation & Music Concert, 10 a.m. in Staples Auditorium. Featuring performances by the Hendrix Choir, Wind Ensemble, and Orchestra.
- Baseball Intra-squad Game, 10 a.m. behind the WAC.
- Volleyball vs. Centre College, 11 a.m. in the WAC.
- Family Picnic, 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. on the lawn between Ellis and Fausett. Lunch is included in your registration, and a ticket will be in your nametag at the hospitality table. Reservation requested.
- Field Hockey vs. Sewanee, 12 p.m. behind the WAC.
- Family Photos, 12:30 - 2 p.m. at the Gazebo beside the Plaza Fountain. Photos taken by professional photographer Stuart Holt and will be available for purchase.
- Residence Hall Room Decorating Open House, 12:30 - 2 p.m. Check with your student to see what rooms are open in his or her Residence Hall.
- Mini Workshops for Parents and Students, 1 - 2 p.m. in Mills. Learn more about academic experiences, international opportunities, career services, student life.
- Dr. David Sutherland, Academic Affairs Associate Provost and Professor of Math, and Danny Powell, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs, will give a brief overview of The First Year Experience (academic and co-curricular), touching on what students are likely to be concerned about now, and what opportunities they'll have this year. Mills A
- Dr. Peter Gess, Director of International Programs, and Claudia Courtway, Study Abroad Coordinator, will share about opportunities for study abroad and other international experiences. Mills B
- Leigh Lassiter-Counts, Associate Director of Career Services and Internship Coordinator, will talk about Preparing for Life after Hendrix and share career programs and services offered to all students and alumni. Mills C
- L'Étranger Mystérieux (The Mysterious Stranger), 2 p.m. in Cabe Theatre.
- Campus Walk for families and prospective students, 2 p.m. in The Burrow, SLTC. Hosted by the Office of Admission. Please reserve a space at the Family Weekend registration table.
- Beach Volleyball Blast, 2 - 7 p.m. behind the WAC. Join the fun at a Campus-wide beach volleyball tournament and free dinner cook-out, a FUNraiser for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Donations are welcome.
- Campus Kitty 5K Run/Walk , 3 p.m. behind the WAC. $10 for registration for students and $15 for adults. Walk-ups welcome. Proceeds benefit local charities.
- Volleyball vs. Austin College, 3 p.m. WAC. Mother-Daughter Tea, 4 p.m. in Galloway Parlor. Stop by for afternoon tea in the Galloway parlor, sponsored by the Galloway Hall Council.
- Sibling Sundaes, 4:30 p.m. in The Burrow, SLTC. Students and their siblings can feast on sundaes together, hosted by the Office of Admission.
- Coffee House Musical Showcase, 8 p.m. in the East Patio, SLTC (Rain Site, Worsham Hall, SLTC). Spend an evening being entertained by Hendrix College students, hosted by the Social Committee.
- Bingo in the Burrow, 10 p.m., SLTC. Students and their families are invited to come and play games with a chance to win great family prizes, sponsored by Residence Life.
Sunday, Sept. 30
- Parent Association Breakfast, 9 a.m. in Bates Dining Room, SLTC. Join us for our annual meeting and get connected with other Hendrix College parents.
- Family Worship Service, 10:30 a.m. in Greene Chapel.
- Volleyball vs. Sewanee College, 12 p.m., WAC.
- Field Hockey vs. Lindenwood University, 12 p.m. behind the WAC.