Last Updated: Wednesday, June 22, 2022
This article has not yet been rated.
There are two ways to post announcements you’d like your whole class to see in Microsoft Teams—you can use an @mention in a channel’s Conversation tab or post important documents using the Files tab. You can also mark a message as important to make sure it’s not missed.
Notify the whole class in a channel
- Use the @ symbol (as in @team) or the team’s name in a message to send a notification to the whole class and prompt them to view your message. For example: @team or @Biology 101.
- Using @General will also notify your whole class in the General channel.
Post an Announcement
Create a customized and attention-getting announcement post with a background illustration.
- Select Format to expand the Compose box.
- Choose Announcement as your post type.
- Choose an illustration or Upload an image to decorate your post. You can choose from General, Class, or Activities themes.
- Create your header and sub header following the onscreen indicators.
Notify the class of a new assignment
When you finish creating a new assignment, your students will automatically receive a notification in their activity bell. A new post will also appear in the Conversation tab of your General channel. This post will display an assignment card with a due date and a link to assignment details.
Pin important documents as tabs
Pin class rules, syllabi, schedules, or other important announcements as tabs at the top of a class channel to be accessed at any time.
Select a channel in your team.
Select the icon at the top of the screen.
3. Choose the kind of file you'd like to add and select a document to upload.
4. Name your tab, then select Save. Selecting the Post to the channel about this tab icon will notify students that the new tab's been added.
Mark a message as important
If you want to make sure the class pays attention to your post in a channel or chat, the best thing to do is mark it as important.
To do that, enter the expanded compose box by selecting the A and then select the Important ! icon. That will add a red exclamation point next to your message and the word IMPORTANT.