Updated guidance: August 2, 2021 (originally posted September 17, 2020 and updated December 8, 2020, and May 3, 2021)
help mitigate the spread of COVID-19 within our community, all students should
be aware of the appropriate protocols if they experience symptoms of,
are referred for testing for, are exposed to, or receive a positive test result for
COVID-19. Students who are living on campus are required to strictly adhere to
designated protocols. Students who are studying remotely and living off-campus
are encouraged to follow designated protocols.
Guidance for Students:
Students who are a close contact* of someone who tests positive for COVID-19
Any students who are identified as possible close contacts to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 will be contacted by a Hendrix staff person and/or the Arkansas Department of Health. (If a student was in close contact with someone and has not been contacted, then the student should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 501-476-5562).
(received all required vaccine doses and 14 days after last required dose)
- Get tested within 3-5 days following exposure even if asymptomatic (if
positive then follow the instructions for Students who test positive (below)
- Strictly adhere to facial covering in public indoor settings for 14 days
after exposure or until they receive a negative test result (continue to follow
all campus masking policies)
- So long as there are no COVID-like symptoms and all testing and masking
requirements are followed, there is no need to quarantine, in most cases.
- Quarantine immediately (If you live in campus housing, Residence Life will
contact you to discuss housing)
- Students will
receive detailed instructions in their Hendrix email account, as well as an
expected date to end quarantine. In most instances, quarantine lasts 7-10 days
from the most recent date of exposure so long as symptoms do not develop and
there hasn’t been a positive COVID-19 test result.
- Students should contact their professors to discuss important coursework-related issues.
- Students will be asked to get tested within 3-5 days following exposure even
if asymptomatic, and to closely monitor their health for 14 days.
- At the end of
quarantine, an official letter will be sent to confirm the completion of
quarantine. Quarantine may not be ended until that letter is received.
*A close contact, as defined by the Arkansas Department of Health, is someone who was within 6 feet of a positive COVID-19 case for 15 minutes or more during the 48 hours prior to the positive test result (if no symptoms) or when symptoms first started.
Students who have signs or symptoms of COVID-19
- Stay home or in your room (if living on campus). This applies to all students regardless of vaccination status.
- Notify Residence Life, your instructors, and supervisors that you are ill.
- Contact the Hendrix Medical Clinic (Schedule Appointment) for a telehealth visit.
- If you are not referred for COVID-19 testing, then you may return to normal activities so long as there is no fever for 24 hours and you follow the guidance of your healthcare provider.
- If you are referred for COVID-19 testing, then you should isolate pending the test result and email email@example.com or call/text 501-476-5562.
- If the test result is negative, you may return to normal activities so long as there is no fever for 24 hours and you follow the guidance of your healthcare provider.
- If the test result is positive, then you should follow the instructions for students who test positive (below).
Students who test positive for COVID-19
- Isolate immediately at home or in your room (if on campus). This applies to all students regardless of vaccination status.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text 501-476-5562 as soon as possible with your full name, test result, and most recent date on campus.
- You will be contacted by a Hendrix staff person and/or the Arkansas Department of Health to share detailed instructions and conduct a contact tracing interview. Any possible close contacts that are identified will be contacted and informed of their risk for exposure.
- If you live on campus, Residence Life will contact you to discuss housing.
- You will receive detailed instructions in your Hendrix email account with an expected date to end isolation. In most instances, isolation lasts 10 days from the date of the positive test result (if no symptoms) or when symptoms first appeared so long as symptoms are improving and there has been no fever for 24 hours.
- At the end of isolation, an official letter will be sent confirming the end of isolation. Isolation cannot be ended until that official letter is received.