Associate Professor of Philosophy
James M. Dow is Associate Professor of Philosophy at Hendrix College, where he teaches courses in philosophy, neuroscience, and environmental studies. Since completing his Ph.D. at the CUNY Graduate Center in 2011, he has published articles on self-consciousness, social cognition, expert bodily action, awareness of agency, and joint action. Dow is working on a book applying insights from the philosophy of mind and action theory to debates concerning the aesthetic appreciation of nature. He recently finished a 100-mile trail run, is obsessed with math rock and conceptual art, and lives on an ecofarm with Melissa Cowper-Smith, a Canadian mixed media artist.
Click here to go to James Dow's website.
- Ph.D., City University of New York, Graduate Center, 2011, Philosophy
- B.A., University of Massachusetts, Boston, 2002, Philosophy
Areas of Specialization
- Philosophy of Mind
- Philosophy of Action
- Environmental Philosophy
Areas of Competence
- Metaphysics and Epistemology
Philosophy of Language
- Moral Psychology
- Philosophy of Science
- Forthcoming 2018 “Environmental Civil Disobedience” Handbook of Philosophy and Public Policy
- Forthcoming 2018 “On the Awareness of Joint Agency: A Pessimistic Account of the Feelings of Acting Together” Journal of Social Philosophy
- (2017) “Just doing what I do: On the Awareness of Fluent Agency” Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences. March 2017 16: 155–177
- (2014) “Mindreading, Mindsharing, and the Origins of Self-Consciousness” Philosophical Topics. (Backdated to 2012) Vol 40.2: 39–70.
- (2012) “On the Joint Engagement of Persons: Self-Awareness, Symmetry and Person Perception” Philosophical Psychology. 25.1: 49–75
- (Upcoming) “Appreciating Wildness: Awareness of Agency in Nature Aesthetics” at Carlton University April 6th, 2018 (Invited)
- (Upcoming) “On the Aesthetic Appreciation of Agricultural Landscapes” at Midsouth Philosophy Conference March 23rd, 2018
- (2018) “On the Possibility of a Neuroaesthetics of Natural Environments” at Lewis and Clark College Philosophy Colloquium Feb 23rd, 2018 (Invited)
- (2016) “Interdisciplinary Epistemic Injustice” University of Memphis Philosophy Colloquium November 4th, 2016 (Invited)
- (2016) “On the Awareness of Joint Agency: A Pessimistic account of the Feeling of Acting Together” Mississippi State University September 9th, 2016 (Invited)