The Office of Multicultural and International Student Services (MISS) maintains a standing Cultural Connection Committee that reports to the Director of MISS. The Cultural Connection Committee is composed of individuals from varying support groups, cultural organizations, and general members from the community. Members are selected on an annual basis from a pool of applicants interested in furthering the diversity goals of Hendrix College. The MISS Director appoints the chair from the Cultural Connection Committee membership for a one year term.
The goals of the committee include: (1) opening the lines of communication with the Director of MISS in order to enhance collaboration among each other regarding diversity initiatives, (2) working to develop an outreach plan to enhance the diversity on the Hendrix campus and learning experience for the entire community, and (3) receiving nominations from the Hendrix community for the Alice Hines Award for Excellence in Multicultural Leadership and Service, an award presented to individuals who have gone beyond the call of duty to bolster diversity on the Hendrix campus. To that end, the committee:
- Promote and advocate diversity awareness and understanding.
- Address diversity issues that occur on campus, which may include stereotyping, hate crimes, and all forms of discrimination that affects all groups on campus.
- Provide leadership as champions of diversity at Hendrix and in the surrounding community.
- Role model behaviors exemplifying a multicultural environment.
- Coordinate with other support groups, cultural organizations, and general members at Hendrix.
If you would like to contact the Cultural Connection Committee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 501-450-1222.