Hendrix College values a diverse learning environment enriched by the race, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, socioeconomic status, ability, culture, political philosophies, geographical backgrounds, and intellectual perspectives of its
students, faculty, staff, and administrators. We believe diversity makes the whole richer, and that participating in a dynamically inclusive community provides a framework for successful leadership and engaged citizenship in the 21st century.
Inclusion is our name for an active and constructive engagement with diversity. Inclusion consists of developing and implementing programs and policies that
- Respect the dignity and civil rights of all persons
- Help prevent prejudice and discrimination
- Recruit and
retain diverse students, faculty, and staff
- Promote capacities for understanding diverse cultures
- Cultivate capacities for generous listening, especially to those who might otherwise not be heard
- Introduce the arts of dialogue across differences, and
- Afford opportunities for mutual
transformation through multicultural cooperation,
all with the aim of creating an atmosphere that is welcoming, hospitable, and true to the best of liberal arts education.
by the Hendrix Faculty in April 2016 and by the Hendrix Board of Trustees in