What We Do
The Office for Diversity and Inclusion works to promote an equitable, diverse community at Hendrix. The Office designs and implements sustainable policies, initiatives, and programming to increase and maintain diversity and ensure inclusion among Hendrix students, faculty, staff,
administration, alumni, and the Board of Trustees.
The Office aims to:
- Promote access by creating successful pathways for underrepresented individuals to become members of the Hendrix community
- Enhance campus culture by promoting efforts to create a more equitable, inclusive Hendrix community
Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives
- Aspire is a by-invitation, cohort-based program to connect Pell-eligible students to Hendrix and promote their achievement and vocational advancement.
Aspire Scholarship covers up to the full cost of attendance (tuition, fees, on-campus housing and meals, and other expenses) for Federal Pell Grant-eligible students from partner institutions and organizations.
- LULAC is a matching scholarship program for Arkansas Latinx students who receive League of United Latin American Citizens Chapter Scholarships.
FOCUS (Faculty Of Color Uniting for Success) is a diversity affinity group created in collaboration with the Associate Provost for Teaching and Learning. Its purpose is to support, mentor, and provide professional development opportunities for minority faculty who self-identify as people of color.
- Bridging Alums of Color at Hendrix (BAC@HDX) is a diversity affinity group created in collaboration with the Office of Alumni and Constituent Engagement. Membership is open to all Hendrix alumni (graduates and non-graduates) who self-identify as people of color.
- First Tuesday Talks are held the first Tuesday of September–November and February–April from noon to 1 pm. Co-sponsored by Project Pericles, First Tuesday Talks are dedicated to developing the Hendrix community’s understanding of diversity and inclusive practices. The program asks community members to answer the question, “What is my identity, and how does it enrich my community?"
Initiatives Under Development
- 1stGen@HDX will be an innovative approach to supporting students who come from a family in which neither parent has a 4-year degree.
- Diversity Dialogues are periodic programs that aim to both celebrate the differences and explore the commonalities that exist among our community members. With this series, we seek out a variety of constructive perspectives on topics meant to spur thought and discussion between and among students, faculty, and staff members.
Hiring Practices are being incorporated into strategic plans on our campus.
- We are recruiting and training our first Diversity Ambassadors, a group of students who will help live out our vision and mission and share news about Hendrix College diversity initiatives with constituents.
- The Climate
Response Team will work to address incidents of bias that have the potential to affect our campus climate.
Diverse Organizations and Programming
Several student organizations, administrative offices, and academic departments/committees are sources of valuable support for diverse groups and cultural enrichment for our entire community, including:
Office of Multicultural Student Services, which sponsors events such as Cultural Candyland, Diversity Acceptance and Openness Week, and the Multicultural Expo.
Office of International Programs provides opportunities such as International Ambassadors, International Week, and Study Abroad.
minors such as Africana Studies, Asian Studies, and Gender Studies.
Activities Organizations such as Students for Black Culture, the Organization for Latino Expression, Hillel, Friends of India, Muslim Student Association, and the East Asian Culture Club.
- The Committee
for Diversity and Dialogue, in collaboration with a range of College offices, facilitates dialogue through a variety of programs, offers advising about relevant programs, and serves as a resource for the community at large.
For more information regarding diversity at Hendrix, call the Office at 501-505-2951 or email
whole person … every person.