Health Services

Health Services FAQ

Q: What if I am sick after the health center is closed?
A: If you are experiencing a medical emergency call 911, or go directly to the emergency room.

Conway Regional Medical Center
2302 College Ave
Conway, AR 72034

 Conway also has a walk-in clinic, PrimeCare which allows for after hours and weekend care. PrimeCare is staffed with a physician and a nurse practitioner. PrimeCare is not associated with Hendrix College, be sure to take your health insurance information with you to the clinic.

PrimeCare Medical Clinic
1014 Harkrider St. Suite B
Conway, AR 72032
(At the intersection of Oak & Harkrider, tucked behind Save-On)
Monday: Friday: 9am – 8pm
Saturday: 10am – 5 pm
Sunday: 1pm – 5pm

Q: What pharmacies are near the campus, and what if I am unable to go to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription?
A: There four pharmacies within walking distance of the Hendrix campus: Wal-Mart located just north of the campus on Harkrider Street, Wal-Greens & Save-On Drugs located south of the campus on Harkrider Street, and Baker Drug located south of the campus on Front Street. Baker Drug and Save-On Drugs provide delivery service when necessary. The prescriptions can be phoned or faxed to the pharmacy then; you can contact them for delivery and payment arrangements.

Baker Drug                Sav-On Drugs
924 Front Street         1014 Harkrider Street
Conway, AR 72032     Conway, AR 72032
(501) 329-5626         (501) 327-6777

Q: If I am referred to see a doctor, who is he/she? Where is the office?
A: There is a list of physicians and their addresses on the health services webpage.

Q:  What immunizations are required to attend Hendrix College?A:          1.  Measles, Mumps, & Rubella (MMR) - Two doses are required at least 28 days apart for students born after 1958.
                * Dose # 1 given at age 12 months or later
                * Dose # 2 given at least 28 days after the first dose

             2.  Meningococcal 

 Q:  How do I get an exemption for the required immunizations?A:  You may obtain an exemption for MMR vaccinations through the Arkansas Department of Health,   These exemptions must be completed yearly.  If an exemption is obtained for the MMR vaccinations, it will be considered an exemption for the meningococcal requirement as well.  If MMR requirements are met, and you choose not to receive the meningococcal vaccine, you may complete a meningococcal vaccination waiver.  The Hendrix College -  Meningococcal Vaccination Waiver is available at Student Health Services.  Students 18 years of age or older may complete the waiver.  Students under the age of 18 must have the waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian. 

Q: Where can I get a meningitis vaccine? How much does it cost?
A: The meningococcal vaccination is required for incoming freshmen beginning Fall semester 2010. The local departments of health provide meningitis vaccinations to individuals 18 & under and college freshmen for $5. After your freshman year, you can go to your personal physician for the vaccination. Student Health Services does not keep the meningitis vaccination serum in stock. It can be obtained by prescription from a local drug store and administered in our office. The vaccination serum cost approximately $130 for the one time dose.

Q: When will the College’s flu shot clinic occur? What will it cost?
A: The annual flu shot clinic is arranged by the Human Resources department. The Hendrix community is notified via email of specific dates and times of the clinics. The flu shot fee of $15 can be charged to the student's account.

Q: Do you perform STD testing?
A: No, we do not test for sexually transmitted diseases. Treatment options include local physicians or the Faulkner County Health Unit. The health unit performs a variety of testing, PAP exams and family planning. The Faulkner County Health Unit is located at 811 North Creek Drive, telephone number 501-450-4941.

Q: Where can I get an athletic physical?
A: Student Health Services do not perform athletic physicals. You may make an appointment to visit a physician of your choice for this service. PrimeCare Medical Clinic also provides athletic physicals.

Q: you provide travel immunizations?
A: No, we do not offer travel immunizations.  Travel immunizations are available through a local physician.
        William Freeman, M.D.
        410 Denison
        Conway, AR