Hendrix College, Human Resources
Policy # 09100
Effective: Friday, October 12, 2018
This policy describes the restrictions regarding pets on campus and allowable exceptions.
- Additional Authority
This policy applies to all faculty, staff and students.
- Responsible Party
The Section 504 Coordinator and the Vice President of Human Resources
- No pets are allowed on campus without being properly leashed by the owner/handler. No pets are allowed inside any campus structure/building.
- Exception (1) Service Animals - The ADA defines Service Animals as dogs or miniature horses that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, etc. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person's disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.
- Exception (2) Approved Emotional Support Animals - Employees must have an approved accommodation from the Section 504 Coordinator in order to have an emotional support animal in the buildings. All requests are to be directed to the Section 504 Coordinator for consideration.
- Exception (3) Petitions for other exceptions are to be directed to the Section 504 Coordinator and the Vice President of Human Resources for consideration.
- All dogs on campus grounds outside of campus buildings are to be on a leash at all times or will be subject to removal by appropriate agency. Further, pets will not be allowed into any areas that serve food and/or beverage, except for circumstances noted above.
- When walking your pets on campus, please be considerate. Be sure to have "doggie bags" with you to pick up and dispose of waste appropriately.