This page is intended for current Hendrix students hoping to join the 2023 Orientation Team.
A paid position, Coordinators work directly with the Director of Student Activities to administer all aspects of the Orientation Program. Candidates will be expected to believe in and support the Hendrix College Student Affairs philosophy. Candidates must possess a positive attitude and service philosophy geared toward helping new students
and become acclimated to Hendrix College. Candidates must be available to begin full-time work beginning the week after graduation. Office hours are M-F, 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM. The coordinator position is a pre-approved Odyssey credit in the Professional & Leadership Development category!
A volunteer position, Peer Leaders serve as the peer-to-peer leadership team during Orientation. One Peer Leader is selected per Orientation Trip. These volunteers help throughout the Spring Semester in selecting Orientation Leaders, developing the Orientation theme, and planning Orientation Trips. Peer Leaders arrive on campus one week prior to Orientation for continued
training and preparation. The peer leader position is a pre-approved Odyssey credit in the Professional & Leadership Development category! Note: previous experience as an Orientation (OR) Leader is preferred. It is not required.
A volunteer position, "OR" (Orientation) LEADERS, together with Peer Leaders, serve as the interactive powerhouse during Orientation. Three OR Leaders are selected per Orientation Trip. These volunteers participate in a Spring Retreat in April, and they also arrive on campus several days before Orientation for continued training and preparation.
Both Peer and OR Leaders are selected through application processes which consist of an application form, several short essays, a resume, two references (including one current Hendrix Faculty or Staff member), and an interview process. These processes are explained more clearly in the application packets.
New Student Orientation Coordinator (pre-approved Odyssey credit in PL category)
- Selection has already taken place. Your Coordinators for Orientation 2023 are Ty Forrest and Abby Glose!
Orientation Peer Leader (pre-approved Odyssey credit in PL category)
- December 13, 2022: Peer Leader applications available
- February 3, 2023: Peer Leader application must be submitted by 4 PM
- February 6 - 15: Peer Leader interviews
- February 17: Peer Leader selection notification
Orientation Leader (OR Leader)
- January 30: OR Leader applications available
- February 24: OR Leader applications must be submitted by 4 PM
- March 1 - 15: OR Leader Candidate Interviews
- March 24: OR Leader selection notification
Mandatory Spring Retreat
All Orientation team staff members are required to attend (exceptions below) a team retreat on Friday, April 21st through the morning of Saturday, April 22nd.
- The retreat will begin late Friday afternoon at an off-campus retreat center. This is an overnight retreat. It will end by 10:00 AM on Saturday.
- Students who have athletic requirements on Friday evening or Sat. morning are allowed to miss the retreat. Students studying away this spring are also allowed to miss the retreat.
Mandatory Fall Training and OR week dates
- Fall training for peer leaders begins Wednesday, August 9th and for OR leaders, Saturday, August 12th. All leaders must be present when their training begins and through the end of the OR week, which is Monday, August 21.
Additional dates relative to training and other expectations are detailed in the application packets.
If you have any questions or concerns, you may reach Jenny Kyle via
email@example.com or by calling 501-450-4575.
2023 PEER LEADER APPLICATION PACKET (new applicants and returning applicants)