This page is intended for current Hendrix students hoping to join the 2020 Orientation Team.
A paid position, Coordinators work directly with the Director of Student Activities to administer all aspects of the Orientation Program. Candidates will be expected to believe in and support the Hendrix College Student Affairs philosophy. Candidates must possess a positive attitude and service philosophy geared toward helping new students
and become acclimated to Hendrix College. Candidates must be available to begin full-time work beginning May 25, 2020. Office hours are M-F, 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM. The coordinator position is a pre-approved Odyssey credit in the Professional & Leadership Development category!
A volunteer position, Peer Leaders serve as the peer-to-peer leadership team during Orientation. One Peer Leader is selected per Orientation Trip. These volunteers help throughout the Spring Semester in selecting Orientation Leaders, developing the Orientation theme, and planning Orientation Trips. Peer Leaders arrive on campus one week prior to Orientation for continued
training and preparation. The peer leader position is a pre-approved Odyssey credit in the Professional & Leadership Development category! Note: previous experience as an Orientation (OR) Leader is preferred. It is not required.
A volunteer position, "OR" (Orientation) LEADERS, together with Peer Leaders, serve as the interactive powerhouse during Orientation. Three OR Leaders are selected per Orientation Trip. These volunteers participate in a Spring Retreat in April, and they also arrive on campus several days before Orientation for continued training and preparation.
Both Peer and OR Leaders are selected through application processes which consist of an application form, several short essays, a resume, two references (including one current Hendrix Faculty or Staff member), and an interview process. These processes are explained more clearly in the application packets.
New Student Orientation Coordinator (pre-approved Odyssey credit in PL category)
- September 27: Orientation Coordinator applications available (e-mail Tonya Hale for application)
- October 25: Coordinator applications due by 4 PM in the StuAct office
- October 28 - November 5 : Coordinator interviews
- November 6: Coordinator selection notification
Orientation Peer Leader (pre-approved Odyssey credit in PL category)
- October 21: Peer Leader applications available
- December 18: Peer Leader application due by 4 PM in the StuAct office
- January 27 - Feb.13: Peer Leader interviews
- February 14: Peer Leader selection notification
Orientation Leader (OR Leader)
- January 27: OR Leader applications available
- March 18: OR Leader applications due by 4 PM in the StuAct office
- March 30 - April 10: OR Leader applicant interviews
- April 15: OR Leader selection notification
Mandatory Orientation Retreat
- April 17-18: Orientation Team retreat (*Retreat begins around 4:45 PM on Friday evening and ends by 10:00 AM on Saturday)
STUDENTS THAT HAVE ACADEMIC OR ATHLETIC REQUIREMENTS THE WEEKEND OF THE RETREAT WILL BE EXCUSED FROM ALL OR PART OF THE RETREAT - DEPENDING ON WHETHER GAMES ARE AT HOME OR AWAY THAT WEEKEND.
Mandatory Fall Training and OR Week Dates
- Fall training for peer leaders begins Wednesday, August 12th and for OR leaders, Saturday, August 15th. All leaders must be present when their training begins and through the end of the OR week, which is Monday, August 24th.
Additional dates relative to training and other expectations are detailed in the application packets.
If you have any questions or concerns, you may reach Tonya Hale via
firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 501-450-4575.
You will need Adobe Reader for the packets. Download it
here for free.
ORIENTATION LEADER APPLICATION
RETURNING ORIENTATION LEADER APPLICATION (for applicants that have previously served as an Orientation Leader)