Charter School Leadership Institute

Charter Leadership Discussion Board

Welcome to the Charter Leadership Institute Discussion Board.

RSS Feed Print
Shirey Presentation
James Jennings
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007

What was your reaction to the Shirey presentation??
Dionne Jackson
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2007

I thought his presentation was great.  I think he did a good job of presenting key information regarding curriculum alignment, while also providing us with some of the real day to day issues he deals with as a charter school director.  I truly appreciated his honesty.

Judge N Evans Jr
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2007

I was impressed.  He exhibited detailed knowledge of his school, mission and his vision.  He presented himself as being dedicated to that mission.  I would like the opportunity to visit the school and get a feel for it.
Tammi
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2007

Unfortunately I was unable to be at the last meeting due to a prior testing schedule. However, I did receive the folder that he presented. I enjoyed looking through it. Our school is in the process of beginning the accreditation process. Last week during our teacher inservice, I introduced the frameworks and actually incorporated some of the questions of assessment. It was very helpful .
James Jennings

Dionne and Judge, I agree with your assessment about his representation of day-to-day experiences and his dedication to the mission.  I think the latter should be emphasized.  Good school leaders HAVE to be fully committed to the vision of the school -- at all times and in all places.
lisa oates

I enjoyed the presentation.  I liked the way he gave detailed information about the students at the school.  I believe one of the advantages of charter schools is how it allows the leader to take a personal interest in his/her students.   I wish he could have stayed longer.  I would have loved to hear more about the day to day procedures of KIPP students and teachers. 
James Jennings
Posted: Monday, February 5, 2007

Lisa, are you suggesting that a traditional school leader cannot take personal interest in his/her students?  What is it about charter schools that gives the school leader this advantage?

I would welcome comments to my reply from others as well.

Dionne Jackson
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007

I think a traditional school leader can take personal interest in her students.  The difference between a charter school leader and a traditional leader is that a charter school leader usually has fewer students at her school than a traditional leader.  Therefore it is easier for her to know each student in the school on a personal level.