Charter School Leadership Institute

Charter Leadership Discussion Board

Welcome to the Charter Leadership Institute Discussion Board.

RSS Feed Print
Applying strategies
James Jennings
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My fellow Chartervillians!

I am curious to know if you have identified any particular leadership/management strategies that you plan to apply to Charterville.

Dionne Jackson
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007

I plan to initially focus on the structural frame.  I hope to implement a few internal processes while also collaborating with other staff and community members to develop additional internal processes.

In addition, I hope to emphasize the human frame.  Initially this will be done by establishing productive work relationships with my staff.  As a school leader I also aim to be an excellent role model and will encourage my staff to do the same. 

Jane Harkey
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007

An extremely practical resource is Todd Whitaker's Dealing with Difficult Teachers.  Despite the negative sounding title, it focuses on how to implement change and growth by focusing on your superstar teachers and how to stop giving power to negative teachers.  Topics include:  creating a positive staff memo, how to praise excellent teaching, and conducting faculty meetings that teachers WANT to come to.  It also is a great help with how to either get difficult teachers better or out. 
Dionne Jackson
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2007

Thanks for the recommendation, Jane.  I look foward to reading this book.
James Jennings
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2007

Dionne, why do you plan to focus on the structural frame, and how will this help you in Charterville?   Do you think that the human frame might be more important for these low-achieving students?
Dionne Jackson
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007

Dr. Jennings, I think the human frame is more important for the students, but I think it is necessary for me to use the structural frame in order to establish the organizational structure and processes that are necessary in order to have a successful “business.” Without these in place, I will not have a chance to use the human frame because my school will lack the foundation it needs in order to thrive.