Charter School Leadership Institute

Charter Leadership Discussion Board

Welcome to the Charter Leadership Institute Discussion Board.

RSS Feed Print
Your Charterville Mission Statement
James Jennings
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2006

I WOULD LIKE FOR EVERYONE TO SUBMIT YOUR LATEST DRAFT OF THE CHARTERVILLE MISSION STATEMENT. AFTER ALL OF THEM HAVE BEEN LISTED, FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS ABOUT PROS/CONS OF DIFFERENT LISTINGS.

Susan White
Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2006

The mission of Charterville Institute is to provide a rigorous academic environment through assessment, remediation, and acceleration.

James Jennings
Posted: Thursday, November 9, 2006

Susan, do you need to add anything about your end product? Some mission statements talk about the students (the end product). The mission statement we reviewed in the November session talked about preparing students to be "leaders, scholars, and responsible citizens." Other mission statements tend to talk about outcomes such as social development, love for learning, wellness, etc.

Letitia Harris
Posted: Thursday, November 9, 2006

At the Jillian RaShard Institute administrators, faculty, staff, students, parents, and the community at large will diligently work to support and provide:

Instruction using an academically challenging curriculum with high expectations for students for the purpose of individual student achievement.

Instruction for proficient use of technological mediums.

Instruction for the use of etiquette and social skills for the purpose of building a team of educationally and socially confident citizens.

James Jennings
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006

Letitia,

I like your three components. Begin to think about some of the INTERNAL PROCESSES you will need to achieve your mission statement.

Dionne Jackson
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006

Mission Statement: We are a community of educators, students, and families putting forth our full potential to reach academic and civic achievement.

Please note that I am trying to achieve the following:

1. I want a mission statement that is easy to recite.

2. I would like my mission statement to establish expectations for everyone who works at the school (educators), the students, and the students families.

Jane Harkey
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006

Charterville Elementary partners with families and the Charterville community in providing a rigorous curriculum to create students who are goal setters, high achievers, and college graduates.

I, like Dionne, would like my mission statement to be short and easy to memorize. I replaced "urgent effort" with "rigorous curriculum".

James Jennings
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Dionne, good job of getting to the point. I certainly think your statement will be easy to memorize. Do you want to simply define "civic achievement?" What is it, even if you leave your mission statement as is. How do you define "civic achievement" in the context of Charterville? In other words, what does this phrase mean to the average "chartervillian?"

James Jennings
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Jane, good job of getting to the point as well. Thanks for dropping "urgent effort." (smile) Do you want to "CREATE" students???

chuckles
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006

The Chartersville School District is in academic distress. The mission is to return the joy of teaching and learning to the school atmosphere. The primary goal will be to" teach the students towards their futures" through an intensive program of instructional technology. Drills, tutorials, virtual field projects, collaborations, electronic mentors, e- pals, e- publishers will be be used to excite both the teacher and student and create an environment conducive to success. The focus of instructional technology will be to accelerate reading, language arts and math skills to above basic benchmark scores.

Charlotte Green

The mission of Charterville Academy for High Achievers is to ensure students will be given the necessary academic preparation needed to excel in college prepatory classess in the secondary level. The key element of our school is a commitment to parental collaboration and involving the community through rich partnerships.

James Jennings

Sandra (a.k.a. "chuckles), I suggest you delete the first sentence and the third sentence. A mission statement should give a broad overview of the mission. It should be positive about the future course of the school, rather than noting the past failure of being in "academic distress."

James Jennings

Charlotte, great start! Your fellow cohorts might want to know that a good mission statement "IMPLIES" as well as "DIRECTLY STATES." Your statement implies that the Academy will focus on doing whatever is necessary to get every student ready for college. At first, I thought your academy was going to be a secondary school. I assume, however, that it is going to be an early childhood (or elementary) school that will focus on college preparation. In other words, your school will get the students ready for the college preparatory (i.e. AP courses, etc.) courses that they will need to take in grades 7-12. Is my interpretation correct? The language that says they will be "given the necessary academic preparation" can cover a long list of strategies, programs, etc. The phrase "given the necessary academic preparation" has many implications. Good start!

Dionne Jackson
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006

Dr. Jennings, once I took another look at my mission statement, I decided to leave "civic achievement" out of the statement. I realized I could accomplish what I hope to by emphasizing "community." What I hope to achieve is a sense of pride and responsibility for our school and local community that is recognized not only locally, but even state-wide and nationally.

D. Jackson Mission Statement-2nd Draft: We are the Carson Science Intermediate School, a community of educators, students, and families putting forth our full potential to reach academic achievement.

James Jennings
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006

Dionne, I agree with your move to delete "civic education." Do you want to "reach academic achievement" or "academic excellence?"

Jim
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The mission of Charterville Education Academy is to develop the personal, social, and academic potential of all students. The students will be able to communicate effectively, read critically with understanding, analyze and solve problems effectively and have respect for the dignity of others. 100% of the students will become proficient or advanced on benchmark exams.

James Jennings

Jim, what a goal! Good draft. I like your second sentence. Good!

Kylia

The mission of the Arkansas Delta Charter School (ADCS) is to ensure that the children of Charterville will be given opportunities, experiences and academic preparation needed for employment and/or post secondary education upon graduation. Using a standards-driven constructivist approach of teaching and learning, we believe that all children can learn at high levels. ADCS will address basic skill deficiencies and high student-achievement in reading, writing, and mathematics. It is the ADSC mission to empower the children of Charterville and surrounding communities to become future leaders and life-long learners. The parents, students, and community leaders will play an integral part in helping the school achieve this goal.

lisa oates
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The mission of Charterville School is to ensure that every student at Charterville is academically challenged and equipped with the necessary skills to succeed at any post-secondary school setting or in the workforce. The students at Charterville will be able to exhibit positive character traits that will help them excel as students and as future leaders. Through community collaboration and family partnerships, the students at Charterville will be supported to become responsible and productive citizens

James Jennings
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Lisa, I like your mission statement, but I think its a little too wordy. First, consider saying TO ENSURE THAT EVERY STUDENT AT CHARTERVILLE IS CHALLENGED TO EXPERIENCE ACADEMIC SUCCESS. Next, consider deleting the last sentence and incorporating key terms such as COMMUNITY COLLABORATION and FAMILTY PARTNERSHIPS into the first sentence or the second sentence. This is just a suggestion, and it may not suit your needs. Thanks.

Judge N Evans Jr
Posted: Friday, December 1, 2006

The mission of the Charterville University Preparatory Academy is to provide students an intense educational experience with high expectations for all students committed to equipping them with the knowledge and skills to attain their goals, think critically and independently, becoming productive, contributing citizens as continuous learners in a diverse world. This is accomplished with a diverse staff committed to developing and delivering rigorous, relevant instrution utilizing an integrated curriculum and establishing positive relationships with students, parents and the community.

Betty Raper

The mission of Charterville School is to foster academic excellence, moral responsibility, and intellectual curiosity in a diverse learning community.

Tammi

The staff at Charterville, in close relationship with family and community, will educate every student through a variety of individualized instruction and diverse learning experiences. Working to their maximum potential will challenge the students to reach proficiency within all subject matters and become lifelong learners.

Crystal
Posted: Saturday, December 2, 2006

Our mission is to enhance student learning through literacy. With a well prepared and motivated staff, we will emphasize basic skills for success to produce students who are prepared for life beyond our school.

James Jennings
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2007

Kylia,

This is a very good mission statement, but the third sentence might be a redundant.  The second sentence covers high achievement, which implies overcoming deficiencies.

James Jennings

Judge, you have a very (v-e-r-y) long first sentence, and it's a good one.  Do you think the first sentence is enough?  Good mission statements tend to avoid much detail.
James Jennings

Betty, good job.  Your one-sentence mission statement is probably enough.
James Jennings

Tammi, good job of putting the burden of responsibility on the staff.  Your beginning gives a clear message of who is responsible.  What is meant by a "variety of individualized instruction?"

Judge N Evans Jr

The mission of the Charterville University Preparatory Academy is to provide an intense educational experience with high expectations for all students equipping them with the knowledge and skills to attain their goals, think critically and independently, becoming productive, contributing citizens as continuous learners in a diverse world.  This is accomplished with a diverse staff committed to developing and delivering rigorous, relevant instruction utilizing an integrated curriculum and establishing positive relationships with students, parents, and the community.

James Jennings
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007

New mission statements for Cohort 2007
James Jennings
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007

MONICA KUHLMAN

The mission of Charterville Charter School is to team with parents and community members to provide a state-standards aligned, rigorous, researched-based, arts-integrated curriculum to its student body, which will be taught by highly qualified, well-educated instructors. Additionally students will develop their problem solving/critical thinking skills through classroom and studio experiences to prepare them to succeed in a global society. Student achievement in core knowledge areas will be continually assessed, with necessary intervention, to assure all students perform at a proficient level, or above, on all state mandated standardized assessments.

Kathi Sweere
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007

The mission for the Charterville Academic Pinnacle (CAP) is for educators, parents, and the community to train students to set goals to achieve academic standards as set forth by the State of Arkansas and give them the necessary academic preparation to excel in secondary school and beyond.

James Jennings

BUSTER LACKEY

Mission Statement:

Charterville is committed to providing a program that meets the unique emotional, social and intellectual needs of students by providing an academically rigorous college preparatory program for all students choosing our school. We believe that all children can learn when challenged by high expectations. We believe that the school, parents and community should work together to provide the most rigorous college prep education to guide students in gaining knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to direct their lives to improve a diverse population and to excel in changing world.   

Ivory Daniels

The mission of the Charter School is to create a strong academic structure in which students learn basic skills in language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies that exceeds Arkansas State standards.  Students are expected to achieve these high levels in an enviroment in which each person is treated with positive regard and acceptance. 
Joyce Dunn
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2007

Mission Statement

Higgins Charter School will provide a competitive education to low income students, Pre-K-12th grades by hiring professional teachers to achieve academic excellence through accountability, state standards, technology, full immersion, assessments, evaluations, data collection/review, interventions, and preventions, while using the flexibility of charter schools to efficiently manage our budget to meet our specific needs.

Hallie Leicht
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2007

The mission of Charterville Elementary School is to provide an environment of high standards and regard for each student, teacher, administrator, parent, and staff member. The school will provide instruction in academic subjects as well as skills necessary for success in society.  In this environment, students' academic performance will exceed state standards and lead them to future success at the college level and beyond.
James Jennings
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2007

DADA RA

Through personal academic excellence, cultural diversification, and exploration of moral responsibility; participants will graduate as Peace Ambassadors available to share their knowledge with the world.

James Jennings
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2007

SAM NELSON

The mission of Marcus Garvey Charter Elementary School is to form

and sustain a partnership with parents, teachers and the community to

provide a quality and equitable education for all students. Marcus Garvey

Charter School will provide a rigorous and comprehensive academic curriculum

with an emphasis on differentiated instruction to meet the intellectual

needs of the student body.  Our student academic expectations are designed

to meet or exceed the state standards that measure average yearly progress

on an annual basis.