Dictionary of the Middle Ages R 909.07 D561s
The Atlas of Medieval Man R 909.07 P697a
Trade, Travel, & Exploration in the Middle Ages R 909.0703 T675f
Illustrated Encyclopedia of Medieval Civilization R 909.103 G752i
Oxford Illustrated History of the Crusades R 909.7 Ox2r
Augsburg Historical Atlas of Christianity n the Middle Ages R 911 An23a
Glossary of Terms Used in Heraldry R 929.603 G726g
English Historical Documents R 942 En36d
Medieval England: An Encyclopedia R 942 M468s
Online Catalog (http://baileylib.hendrix.edu)
These subject headings will bring "sure success" when searched in the keyword or subject heading categories:
civilization, medieval medievalism
chivalry middle ages
education, medieval ships, medieval
feudalism travel, medieval
marriage customs and rites, medieval
- Keyword: most flexible, most results
- Subject: more restrictive, categories, works like an index Ex.: middle ages
- Title: more restrictive, have precise titles, works like an index.
Contains citations and abstracts to articles and books covering world history (excluding the US and Canada) from 1450 to the present. This database contains some full text, but if you retrieve only a citation, check our Journals List to see if we have the journal.
- Use the advanced search and exclude searching of U.S. and Canadian history.
- Use * on the end of your term for variant endings, and ? to account for variant spellings. Ex.: medieval* retrieves medieval, medievalism, etc. wom?n retrieves woman and women
- Use the browse feature to locate subjects, names, and places.
- Use the browse feature to limit to a time period.
A full-text, social sciences database that covers complete runs of scholarly periodicals, excluding the most recent 3-5 years. Secondary source information.
- Use the “All of these words” box to do most your searching.
- Select whichever disciplines/journals are relevant to your searching.
- Use “&” on the end of your term to account for plurals, and “~” to account for variant word endings.
- Use quotes to search phrases. Ex.: “Leonardo da Vinci” AND (Florence OR Firenze)
- Print using the “JSTOR Economy Print” option.
Some full-text, covers a wide array of social science periodicals from 1983-present.
- Select "Social Sciences Full Text" and any other relevant database.
- If you get unsatisfactory results with the "Smart Search," try a "Keyword" search instead.
- Check the "Full Text" box if you need to limit your search to full text.
- Limit your search by article type (feature).
- Use "*" on the end of your term for variant endings, and "?" for variant spellings.
Academic Search Premier
Academic Search Premier provides citations and a lot of full text to articles (both popular and scholarly) in periodicals and newspapers.
- Use the "Advanced Search" tab.
- Use AND to separate concepts.
- Use "?" for word endings, and "*" for word variants.
Access the world’s online catalog…use this database to find books that neither we nor UCA has.
- Select “Subject” or “Subject Phrase” from the drop-down menu to narrow your searching.
- Pay attention to subject headings when you look at your results!
- Limit to type of material, language, and audience where appropriate.
- Use the index button to find an alphabetical list of subject headings, and use the subject headings button to browse the list of subject headings based on a term or concept.
- Use “*” on the end of your term to pick up different endings.
- Use quotes to search your terms as a phrase.
- Click on the “Libraries worldwide that own item” to see whether or not UCA owns it (anything Hendrix owns displays this symbol: )
Watch for Accuracy, Authority, Objectivity, & Currency!
The Costumer’s Manifesto – Medieval European Costume Links
The Domesday Book Online
A History of the Crusades
Internet Medieval Sourcebook
Medieval Architecture in France
ORB: The Online Reference Book for Medieval Studies
Last Modified on 8/22/2007