Hendrix-Murphy Programs enrich the study of literature and language for Hendrix
College as a whole as well as for students with intensive interest in those areas.
The late Mr. Charles H. Murphy, Jr., former Chair of the Board of
Murphy Oil Corporation and former member of the Hendrix Board of Trustees,
established the Foundation in 1978 in memory of his mother, Mrs. Bertie Wilson
Murphy. A 1905 graduate of Galloway Women’s College—which later became part of
Hendrix College—Mrs. Murphy possessed a lifelong love of literature and
language, to which these programs are exclusively dedicated.
The Bertie Wilson Murphy Building houses campus visitors sponsored
by the Foundation and by other College programs. Completed in spring 2002, the
“Murphy House” features elegant but informal spaces for students and faculty to
meet with those visitors in both planned and spontaneous gatherings.
Director of the Foundation’s programs is Hope
Coulter, also an Assistant Professor of English. Program Manager is
Henryetta Vanaman, and Office and Building Manager is Sarah Engeler-Young.
Programs in Literature and Language
Hendrix College, 1600 Washington Avenue
Conway, AR 72032-3080
501-450-1399 (fax: 501-450-3837)
Visit us online at: