These programs offer financial support for unpaid internships that involve literature and language. Stipends are $ 1,000.00 for a semester-long internship during the academic year and $2,000.00 for a summer internship.
In Summer 2010, student interns:
• assisted with editorial duties at Temenos Publishing Company in Little Rock, Arkansas;
• evaluated manuscript submissions, proofread, and edited for The Oxford American in Conway, Arkansas;
• studied the language of obituaries at a funeral home and record repository in Carthage, Texas;
• served as an editorial assistant for The Exquisite Corpse at the University of Central Arkansas; and
• worked as a technical intern for the Seattle Children's Theatre.
In past years, student interns have:
• created teaching modules for the Child Care Liaison Project and translated resources and materials into Spanish;
• worked with arranging and describing materials at the Clinton Library in Little Rock, Arkansas;
• maintained and updated the Moving Image Source website for the Museum of the Moving Image;
• translated Spanish legal documents for a local attorney who practices immigration law during the school year in Conway, Arkansas;
• wrote movie reviews and edited copy for the Arkansas Times during the summer in Little Rock, Arkansas;
• produced a labor law blog during the summer for an attorney in St. Louis, Missouri;
• reviewed submissions and edited selections for the southern literary journal Oxford American;
• maintained the website, created publicity, and marketing for the Arkansas Repertory Theatre;
• worked with students in English as a Second Language (ESL) programs and assisted in administration and advertisement for the Arkansas Institute of Languages;
• written publicity, organized workshops, and maintained relationships with sponsors for the Little Rock Film Festival; and
• maintained the website, created publicity, and marketing for the Arkansas Repertory Theatre.
Students whose internships are supported by Hendrix-Murphy Foundation work with an academic advisor and workplace supervisor and complete final reports summarizing their experience. To be considered for HMF funding please complete the Internship Application Packet at Career Services, room 240 SLTC (see Leigh Lassiter-Counts).