Minutes 4.3.07

 

Agenda

Tuesday April 3, 2007

6:30 p.m. Mills Library

 

I. Call to Order

 

II. Special Business

  • Appointments
    • Jacob Williams I – Senior Chair
    • Robert Fureigh – Council on Residence Life (CRL)
    • Anna Bush & Shamus Ridgell – Media Committee
    • Kelsey Steele, Amy Ulmer, Sarah Richardson, Joseph Hayden, and Kent Coombs – Election Commission
  • Review of Committee on Student Rights and Committee on Judicial Review constitutions/objectives legislation:
    • Committee on Student Rights:  Amend so that the President chooses the Chair and he/she must be approved by a majority vote in Senate.
    • Committee on Judicial Review:  Amend so that the President chooses the Chair and he/she must be approved by a majority vote in Senate.
  • Housing Reapplications: 
    • Online… OPENS Wednesday, April 4, 2007 at 4 p.m.  CLOSES when a high number of responses are received… A warning that it will be closing will be sent with at least a day of time to get last requests in.
    • Last year:  “You could not squat your room if you did not have a roommate.”  This year you CAN squat your room without a roommate, but you will be assigned one.
    • When this begins, students should take a little time to sit down and figure rooming situations out.  It would be easier for the housing if students could figure out roommates for themselves.
    • If you decide you want to squat your room with another roommate, and he/she wants the room without you, that is a conflict and neither scenario is good.  The student with the most housing bid points, though, will keep the room.
    • Last year – 7 choices… This year – 5 choices of living preference.
    • If the person you would like to room with next semester is not listed, please visit ResLife (Hulen) to get things straightened out.
    • It is an online process and very user-friendly.
    • If your top priority is off-campus… put it as your number one choice.
    • Basically, everything is more focused on the bid points, rather than having the right number of roommates/suitemates.
    • Probably around the end of April will be when things are organized and we will get room assignments.
    • Question and Answer Session on Thursday, April 5, 2007 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.  It will be held in the Burrow.
    • If you have questions that are not answered on the web, seek help in Buhler.
    • Students studying abroad will get to partake in the Housing Reapplication just like other students.
    • If you do NOT apply, you will not be assigned off-campus.  You will, instead, be assigned a room.  Thus it is important to apply.
    • Also, get the word out to those abroad and those who will be abroad.  Class Senators, this means you especially; send out your notes and highlight this information for them.
    • Again:  Get a roommate yourself.  This makes things so much easier for the students and for ResLife assigning rooms.

 

                                                 

III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns

  • Gym closes early.  Requests for it to stay open until 5:00?
    • As it turns out, Peach provides nice information that makes us reconsider taking up this battle.  With the WAC nearly complete, we are now requesting times for the new gym next semester. 
  • Martin guys want more clam chowder to eat…
  • Responses about poles around off-campus:  Some were good, some were NOT good (saying that it would look too “public school-ish”).  Front Street responses were better.
    • Putting signs up?  Probably not a real good solution because signs are already up.  There might be worse results if the signs said “Hendrix students crossing…”  That’s just what we think, though.
    • Will Green will talk to Rick Sublett and Chad Sardashti (to talk to the City of Conway) about poles for the crosswalk.
  • As far as Spring Break goes, we’re pretty close with the rest of the country’s Spring Break; Arkansas’s is usually a little off.  So the issue was dropped.
  • Cigarette butts and ashtray idea on Pecan Tables.  Cache will talk to Physical Plant this week.
    • Concern from Tim Pote is that people do eat outside at the Pecan Tables and the cigarette containers at the table would be quite a turn-off.

 

 

IV. Departmental Liaison Reports

  • Concern for people not knowing how to get Media help for events and stuff.  Tim and Media Center need more than a day’s notice.  Tim will work on constructing a system that answers questions on procedure and such when an organization requests help from Media Center for an event.
  • Shelby Harrell’s Roundtable was approved.  Members are Megan Wooley, Patrick Ford, Jeff Allison, Rainey Gibson, Andrew Fiser, Tim Martin, Vanna Kay Gordon, Nick Barnes, Jennifer Tate, Sid McMath, and James Murray

 

V. Committee Reports

 

  • Multicultural Development Committee with James Tyus
  • Social Committee with Valerie Kimbrough
    • April 11th – Cary Judd
    • April 15thPan’s Labyrinth
  • Media Committee with Mandy Munoz
  • Council on Residence Life/Campus Kitty with Harper Zielonko
    • Campus Kitty is over!!!
    • Lovely Miss Hendrix performance
  • Environmental Concerns Committee with Allison Hammons
    • April 21 – Arkansas Earth Day – traveling down to Little Rock (caravan)
    • April 22 – Workshops from 2:00-6:00
  • Academic Policy with Katie Pearce
  • Student and Academic Concerns Committee with BJ Fogleman and Katie Pearce
  • Finance Committee with Samantha Bode
    • Hendrix Bike Revolution – APPROVED!  ($370)
    • Bee-Keeping Society – APPROVED!  ($623)
  • Communications Committee with Lin Poff
  • Committee on Committees with Shlok Vaidya
    • Filing for sub-chairs has opened and closes by Sunday, April 8, 2007
    • NEWLY APPOINTED MEMBERS
      • Environmental Concerns Committee (ECC) – Maggie McKinney
      • Media Committee Chair – Megan Wooley
    • Sub-Chair Filling closes SUNDAY NIGHT (April 8, 2007… as printed above!).  Meetings will be Sunday (for those who can get things in early) and Monday.
  • Executive Committee with Will Green
    • Elections to take place next Tuesday for…
      • Couch Hall Senator
      • Houses Senator
      • Raney Hall Senator
    • Incoming freshman class… The conservative freshman class size is approximately 360-380
    • Construction – roads will be done later… of course!  This is referring to the Harkrider roundabout and such.
    • In the homeless vigil area (corner of Harkrider and Siebenmorgan), a parking lot will be made starting in April.  Should have about 150 parking spots.
    • Brett Sokolo will be here Monday, April 10th at 7:00 p.m.

 

VI. Unfinished Business

  • Racist flyer found in Hardin.  Apparently, this isn’t the first one that has gone up but James Murray stepped up and brought things to the attention of the Senate finally.
    • Dean Bailey has been notified and is taking action.  Harper and James Tyus know this because they discussed this with her.

 

VII. New Business

  • Will Green recommended Chairs for the two newly created committees.
    • Sid McMath – APPROVED as Chair of Committee on Judicial Review
    • Jacob Williams I – APPROVED as Chair of Committee for Student Rights

 

VIII. Adjournment until April 10, 2007

 

Clean up:  Veasey, Galloway, Raney