Minutes 02.02.10

 

Agenda

Tuesday February 2, 2009

6:30 p.m. Campbell Dining Room, 2A SLTC

I. Call to Order

II. Special Business

  • Senate meet-and-greet for candidates??
  • Get other students involved and interested in running!
  • Filing opens Tues., Feb. 9 for Student Senate positions
  • Debate on Sunday or Monday night before the elections
  • If you are running next year and want to help, let Katherine know!
  • Questions? Holler at Katherine Hunter.

III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns

  • Sophomore having problems with the post office? We know they are still in transition, but a lot of things are being delivered late, including important documents like her W2, a damaged Netflix DVD, etc. E-mail any post office concerns to Kristi Vo.
  • Heard a rumor that student organizations who do not have a bulletin board can rent one? You can get any of that space through Lynette Long.
  • Can we get more variety in the salad bar?
  • Bigger variety of fish? Send any more dining services concerns to Ruairi Fox.
  • Have a lot of the vegetarian options have been cut?
  • Pre-med student concerned with why we don’t have anatomy and physiology course? Due to restrictions with having to teach so many undergrad courses, there are other versions like comparative vertebrate anatomy. Until we can get more money to hire more biology professors, there is really nothing we can do.
  • The sound level of the movies in Worsham is quite loud. Rumor that there was a hearing impaired student and that’s why it was so loud during Where the Wild Things Are? True, there was a hearing impaired student. It was turned down somewhat too.
  • SOCO Formal ordeal
    • There are no more wristbands. SoCo members were surprised since the max attendance in the past was around 250. We did not know that when we booked the menu that Girl Talk could come. The max capacity is about 750. Everyone knew about all of this the entire time and knew it would be problematic. There are 146 guests signed up. 861 spaces have been given up for formal.
    • Some students argue that they pay a student activity fee and have the right to go to these events like everyone else. At larger schools (which we are becoming now), not every student can attend all of the events. For example, UA in Fayetteville—there is a capacity in their auditorium that prevents many from being able to go, not to mention they have to pay even for their events in addition to their activity fee.
    • Is it not fair that guests can still come over students who did not get a wristband? Guests pay to go and that money cannot be refunded. It’s not SoCo’s fault that people call into work and make arrangements to get their wristband. We are really sorry.
    • Is it possible to go and wait at formal and see if people don’t show up? Can there be a waitlist process? Possibly. There are things that have happened that could not be foreseen. For people who picked up wristbands and are not for certain about going, there may be something that can be done. A waitlist is very probable.
    • Keep in your constituents’ minds that many people were unable to get wristbands in time before they were all sold out, so for those who are not certain about going but picked up a wristband anyway, have them consider giving it back or to a friend who really wants to go.
    • Rosie Valdez: the size of the venue is the biggest concern around campus. As the week goes on, take into mind that this is a very large venue and an extra room was booked to help accommodate students. The two or three other locations that were attempted to book, the two that were available were quite small. The size was definitely taken into consideration. Thanks for including all of the policies into your notes. She appreciates that you made it known.
    • The venue was booked first and then the act confirmed their appearance. There was no ill intention. We can be active in seeking solutions.
    • Jake and SoCo are really sorry for those who can’t come. They will try their best though to get you in and find a solution.

IV. Departmental Liaison Reports

  • BJ Public Safety Liaison: all the snow is gone. They are working as fast as they can to clean up the walk ways and campus.  

V. Committee Reports

  • (Committee on Awesomeness) Dr. Carney-Hall and Dean Wiltgen
  • Social Committee with Jake Eddington
    • Formal is this Saturday at 9:30. Shuttles are filled up and there are no more wristbands.
    • Shuttles: since some of the people who signed up for shuttle did not get a wristband, there may be extra spots. Outside their office window either Thursday or Friday morning—the confirmed names of people on shuttles will be posted. There are 10 shuttles of various shapes and sizes that will accommodate 410 students total.
    • Coffee House on March 6.
    • Food, Inc. tomorrow at 7:00 pm in Worsham (NOT Mills C). Stay around for a small discussion.
    • Huntington’s recycle bins are back!
  • Media Committee with Taylor Adams
    • Taylor had a meeting with the Profile editors and business manager. All staff (that turned in completed work) will be paid for the December issue. The print estimate with the new publisher will be returned to Senate (He will send John Christie more info. later this week).
    • The Profile has a new policy (recommended by Dr. Hines and Taylor in response to complaints from the Business office and staff payment issues): The majority of staff who have not received payment this year have not been filling out their timecards with the correct information. So, starting at the end of February, all Profile writers/section editors who fail to properly fill out time cards will not receive back pay.
    • The Profile press dates for spring semester are set for:
      February 16th
      March 10th
      April 9th
      May 3rd
    • Media Committee is currently in the process of accepting applications for the Editor-at-Large position. All applications are due Wed. by 5:00pm electronically. Interviews will be held Thursday and Friday.
    • Announcements:
      • All students interested in being a Columnist for the Profile this semester should contact Daniel Weik WeikDJ@hendrix.edu
      • The Profile Writers Meeting The Profile is looking for writers for the rest of Spring Semester. If you are interested please attend a meeting on Wednesday in Mills C at 6:30 p.m. For more information contact Claire Burns at burnsCE@hendirx.edu
      • Important Announcement from the Troubadour for Seniors
        SENIORS: If you have any photos from your time at Hendrix that you would like to be considered for inclusion in the Troubadour, please submit them. They may be from any Hendrix event over your past four (or five) years here. You may turn in the photos on a CD to the Troubadour Office, room 155 in the Student Activities Suite of the SLTC. If no one is in the office, leave your CD in the envelope on the door. Please make sure you include a list of who is in each photo. Without this information they will not be considered for inclusion. Photos are due by Monday, February 15. Also, if you would like a copy of the Troubadour mailed to you when they arrive in late August, please send your name, address, and $5 to Courtney Johnson Box 3380 before April 1. You will receive a confirmation e-mail shortly after payment.
      • All questions Senators have should be sent via email to Taylor at Adamstr@hendrix.edu
  • Multicultural Development Committee with Molly Miller
  • Volunteer Action Committee with Emily Uhar
  • Service Friday on Feb. 5. Meet at the bell at 4:55 PM, should last until about 7. Serving supper at the Bethlehem House. Questions? E-mail Emily.
  • Campus Kitty with Caelan O’Sullivan
    • The Vagina Monologues, cohosted by Alpha Psi will be performed March 8.  Contact Brett Carr for more info.
    • Campus Kitty Week: April 2-10!
  • Academic Policy with BJ Fogleman
    • Core curriculum changes won’t be in effect until another few years.
    • Conway Locally Grown will use Hendrix as a drop off site starting March 5. BJ will tell us further details!
  • Student and Academic Concerns Committee BJ Fogleman
  • Financial Committee with John Christie. See complete proposals below.
    • MDC Dao Week: APPROVED $2,800 for Dynamic Duo.
    • Poetry Slam Team. APPROVED: $743!
    • Unity Condomgrams: APPROVED: $430!
    • MDC (SBC and SPEAC also included) Retreat: $3,200 for lodging. APPROVED $1600 for ten members going instead of 20.
    • $74,614 left in discretionary, which includes the 20,000 from Troubadour.
    • SoCo Loco ideas? Roller coaster. Kesha the performer? The Hippo? Extreme air?
    • Payment for food items? John is writing up possible amendments to fincom document.
  • Communications Committee with Kristi Vo
    • Advertisements for elections underway.
    • Tell your constituents that filing will open next week and tell them a little something that might get them interested in running. Please encourage people to seriously think about being candidates!
  • Committee on Committees with Ken Yang
    • Transition seems to be going fine. Convince people to run for senate and give them an idea of what it’s all about.
  • Executive Committee with Chance McDermott
    • New elections that Katherine already talked about. See above.

VI. Unfinished Business

VII. New Business

  • SoCo and future events: solutions???
  • Back-up plan for graduation. Overflow, especially in rain day cases, Mills rooms for projection?
  • Can there be another venue with a projector so people can still see the live performance at Formal?
  • Kudos to this year’s senate for bumping up the election timeline because it gives committee chairs a chance to plan for the next year. Way to go, Rosie and the rest of SoCo!
  • Senate should consider in the future what impact this makes on the campus culture. Although events are free, there is a ticketing process to keep count of how many people attend. For example, what if there is some downpour during shirttails and it needs to be moved to Staples. Not everyone will be able to go.
  • Another problem: too many people want to come to this event. We really feel bad for those who can’t come, but nonetheless... the event is going to be awesome!
  • Please encourage students who are outraged that they can’t go and guests are still able to come
  • Senate Meet and Greet: e-mail ideas to Ken Yang. Goodbye-type of event? School-wide eating contest?

VIII. Adjournment                

Clean up: Everyone

Discretionary Proposals

Organization Name: MDC

 

Requesting: $4700

 

For: DAO Week

 

When and Where will this Event Occur:

March 22-March 26, SLTC 

 

Master Calendar Confirmation: yes

 

Event Details:

March 22: Movie-Title TBD (SLTC 172, 8:00-10:00)

 

Cost: $450 for movie rights

March 23: Diversity Speaker-Phillip Milano-“I Can’t Believe You Asked That” (SLTC 172, 7:00-11:00)

 

Cost: $3550 ($3200 speaker fee + $350 travel+hotel)

March 24: Will Mafori-Disabled Comedian (SLTC 172, 7:00 PM-11:00 PM)

 

Cost: $2380 ($2300 performance fee + $80 hotel)

March 25: Thursday Forum/International Club Event (SLTC 172, 7:00-11:00)

 

Cost: $100 for DJ and music

March 26: Dynamic Duo- Slam Poetry Group (SLTC 172, 7:00 PM-11:00 PM)

 

Cost: $2800 ($2700 performance fee and airfare + $100 hotel and ground)

TOTAL COST: $9,280

AMOUNT AWARDED IN SPRING: $4, 480

ADDITIONAL  AMOUNT REQUESTED: $4,800

 

Diversity, Awareness and Openness Week is meant to be a celebration of different cultures, lifestyles, and beliefs in the Hendrix community.  We hope that this event will facilitate a positive discussion of diversity issues on the Hendrix campus.

Who this event is targeting and expected number of participants:

This event is targeting all Hendrix students, faculty, and staff. We expect anywhere

between 30 and 150 students per event, depending on the night.

Did you request funding for this event in the spring? If so how much was funded:

Yes, $4480

 

Any Additional Comments:

This event is traditionally one of the biggest events of the year for MDC.

 

Event: Performance by Emerson College Poetry Slam Team

Expected Date: 1/28/2010

Expected Cost: Booking fee: $1000

                           Travel costs: ~$1500 (Round trip for 4 performs from Boston)

                           Total: $2500

Expected turnout: 200 students

Event: Workshop and Performance by Kirk Hardesty & Jerri Hardesty

Expected Date: 2/27/2010

Expected Cost: Booking fee: $500

                           Total: $500

Expected turnout: 150 students

Event: Regional Competition at University of Texas - Pan America (5 students)

Date: 2/19-20/2010

Expected cost: Registration: $125

Travel: 8 MPG/700 miles = 85 gallons @ est. $2.50 a gallon = $212.50

                          Lodging: ~$150 (Frontier Motel)

                          Total: $487.50         

Event: National Competition at Emerson College (Boston, MA)

Date: 4/7-10/2010

Expected cost: Registration: ~$500

                          Travel:  5 round trip plane tickets @ ~$450 comes to $2250                 

                                        Taxi to and from airport ~$50

  Lodging: ~$850 (Doubletree Hotel in downtown Boston- This is the hotel that all of the performers are required to stay.)

                          Total: $3,650

Total for expected events: $7,137.50

 

Organization Name: Unity

   

Requesting: $600

   

For: Valentine's Day Condomgrams and Dental Damgrams

   

When and Where will this Event Occur:

We will take orders February 8-11 in the sunporch and distribute through campus mail February 12

   

Master Calendar Confirmation: Pending

   

Event Details:

February 14 is National Condom Day. In celebration of the diverse ways people experience love,

romance, and sex and in recognition of the importance of responsible sexual practices, regardless of

sexual orientation, Unity will be selling condomgrams and dental damgrams. Students will be able

to purchase a condom or dental dam and send it to a friend via campus mail with a personalized

message and a reminder from Unity on the importance of safe sex.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

Who this event is targeting and expected number of participants:

This even targets the whole Hendrix community. In order to purchase condoms in bulk, we must place

a minimum order. Condoms and dams not sold will be saved by Unity and distributed at

another time. We anticipate selling 800-1000 condomgrams and dental dams, combined.

 

 

   

Did you request funding for this event in the spring? If so how much was funded:

No

 

   

Any Additional Comments:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
   

Budget Breakdown:

$170

1000 lubricated condoms (minimum order)

$260

500 dental dams

 

 

Organization Name: MDC

 

Requesting: $3720

 

For:  Diversity and Inclusion Institute

 

When and Where will this Event Occur:

The event will be at Ferncliff. It will take place some

weekend during the Spring semester, but this date has not yet been determined.

 

Master Calendar Confirmation:

 

Event Details:

The retreat is being sponsored by Hendrix's Project Pericles program and the

Multicultural and International Student Services Office in conjunction with Just Communities of

Arkansas. The goal of the retreat is to train student leaders to recognize the value of diversity, recognize

bias and understand its cost, understand the role of privilege in America, and become agents of change

in promoting inclusion both on campus and in the community. The retreat will include 20 students from

Hendrix College and 20 from Phillander Smith College in Little Rock.

 

MDC is requesting funds on behalf of student representatives from SBC, SPEAC, and other groups

on campus that address diversity issues.

 

The cost of the retreat for students is $186 per person. This cost includes 2 nights of lodging at

Ferncliff, 7 meals, and snacks for breaks. Since Hendrix is planning on sending 20 students, the total cost

for the retreat will be $3,720. If funding were to be receive for lodging only (with the $80 cap taken

into account) this total would be $3,200.

 

 

 

Who this event is targeting and expected number of participants:

This retreat will target 20 student leaders on the Hendrix Campus.

 

 

 

 

Did you request funding for this event in the spring? If so how much was funded:

No.

 

Any Additional Comments:

I have also attached the retreat proposal for more information

about the retreat. Also, I recognize that this is somewhat of a lofty

request. However, I think this retreat would really benefit the

Hendrix campus and even if it can't be funded in full, I would ask

that you consider providing a smaller amount to defray the costs.

I'll leave it up to FinCom to decide what an appropriate amount would be

if it comes down to that.