Minutes 9.9.2008

Agenda

Tuesday September 9, 2008

6:30 p.m. Mills Classroom 303

I. Call to Order 

II. Special Business                                                 

III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns

  • Apartments concerns: Front Street does not have individual boxes for wireless internet; Mills and Huntington do! So Front Street should too. Derek volunteers to be the IT liaison, so he’ll take care of it.
  • Pool table? People have complained and really want to play, so hello Student Activities Assistant, Chris Carr! He’ll speak with Tonya about it.
  • Nick will speak with dining services for people who are on a 5- or 10-meal plan and want to eat on the weekends. Missing one of the meals during the week is very slim but it is expected to account for only weekday meals, but Karla asked if in the future if ANY meal will be available for these people, so we’ll find out soon!
  • Chance received an e-mail from Lauren, a Front Street resident, who has developed asthma living in the dormitories. She is concerned with the health of the students living in the dorms; there have been many complaints due to the mold and allergies in the dorms. Hendrix takes these concerns of mold and mildew very seriously. Report it to your RA or directly to physical plant and it will get taken care of. Renovation will be a long process, but it is on its way in the future!
  • Someone e-mailed Becca asking the cafeteria to eliminate use of trays since it takes a whole lot of water (around half a gallon) to clean a tray. This student suggests that we simply hold our plates.
  • A senior asked Sam if we could have more than 32 characters on diplomas.
  • Couch still needs a trash can! Still working on it… sorry for the delay!
  • What should Mill St do as far as recycling goes? For now, just bring it to Front Street.
  • Constitutional Revision Committee will be meeting on Thursday at 8:00 pm!
  • Karl Lenser says that the mats for judo are not nice enough to store and says to just stack it somewhere in the corner. Mac is on it.

IV. Departmental Liaison Reports

  • Sand volleyball court is finally here! Tell the WAC people thanks.

V. Committee Reports

  • Multicultural Development Committee with Ronni Laizure
  • Social Committee with Lin Poff
    • Faux Rush Week THIS WEEK! Shirts on sale for $10 in the sunporch from 11-1. Get your wrist bands for Foam Party!
    • Blow-up events postponed until Southside Rush on Thursday!
    • Wednesday: Sadie Hawkins! Mabee Center, 8-11 pm
    • Thursday: Southside Rush, 4-6 pm
    • Friday: LIP SYNC CONTEST! E-mail John Martin or Lydia Nash if you want to be a part of Lip Sync Contest by midnight tomorrow, along with a hard copy of the song!
    • Saturday: FOAM PARTY!!! Brick pit at 9 pm; rain location: Hulen Ballroom.
    • Amend funding request: only apartments will need $150; off-campus will not need the $150, and neither will the new houses.
    • Election results:
      • Freshman Rep: Grace Kloss
      • Sophomore Rep: Kristi Vo
      • Junior Rep: Jose Bautista
      • Senior Rep: Jordan Kennedy
      • Martin Rep: Andrew Chesser
      • Couch Rep: Manuel Lopez
      • Veasey Rep: Rachel Lee
      • Hardin Rep: Jake Mitchael
      • Apartments Rep: Michelle Story
      • Athletic Rep: Mac Barnes
      • Houses/Galloway Rep —run-off elections will be next week with Senate elections
      • Raney/Off-campus Rep elections will also be next week
    • Next week’s election will be on Tuesday, Sept. 16th from 10 AM to 5 PM. We senators will work in shifts to help Bob out. If you volunteered to work… be there! He needs counters too in the Senate Office as soon as the elections close.
  • Volunteer Action Committee with Larnie Campbell 
  • Media Committee with Fraser Holmes           
    • Profile comes out on FRIDAY!
    • KHDX will have a DJ meeting NEXT Wednesday, Sept. 17 at 7:00 pm. Location TBA.
    • Troubadour: ’06-’07 yearbooks are ready. Jordan Kennedy, editor of this past year’s yearbook, and Dr. Hines said they don’t want to release these until the ’07-’08 yearbooks are ready. So Fraser will talk to them about releasing the ’06-’07 as soon as possible. The ’07-’08 yearbook will be released sometime within the first 2 weeks of October. Everyone is pretty baffled about this situation, so a committee is being organized called the Investigative Body for the Troubadour Crisis to possibly make the yearbook digital and get a production out in the spring semester (like has been possible in the past). Corey Nesbit, Alex Graddy-Reed, and Becca Mayeux will be representing the Senate on this committee. 
  • Campus Kitty with Alex Graddy-Reed
    • Applications for Campus Kitty will be available THIS FRIDAY on the Senate Wall. Take one, fill it out, and get it to Alex by the 26th of September. Any questions? Contact Alex! 
  • Environmental Concerns Committee with Wendell Cathcart and Katherine Roehm
    • Faulkner County is putting on an Electronic Waste (E-waste) Drive TOMORROW from 8am to 2 pm at the county fairgrounds. They are providing breakfast and lunch. If you have any old electronics (computer parts, etc.), bring them! Tell your friends.
    • The retreat camp out is next weekend at Petit Jean for ECC members. If you are interested, contact Wendell or Katherine!
  • Academic Policy with Samantha Bode
    • Frisbee as a PA credit: still being looked into. Let her know if you have any more academic concerns!
  • Student and Academic Concerns Committee with Jayce Hafner and Samantha Bode
    • Jayce will be meeting with Dr. Karney-Hall about the internship program. Applications should be out next week! 
  • Finance Committee with Alex Graddy-Reed
    • Social Committee requests $150.00 for Faux Rush Week. APPROVED: $150.00!
    • International Club requests $500.00 for Ice Breaker Trip this weekend where they will go to the village creek state park for a night and over the summer for a day trip to the Gator amusement park in Little Rock. $800.00 has previously been allotted to the International Club for 25 international students, but now there are 10 more students, which the $500 will account for. “[This] event will help the international students get to know their ambassadors, help them adjust to Hendrix, and thus facilitate the cultural exchange which is the goal of the exchange program.” APPROVED: $500.00!
    • Society of Physics Students requests $2300.00 for 180 T-shirts and a movie. They had an unexpectedly high turnout at the preliminary meeting, and thus have expanded their ambitions for the upcoming year. They want to hold a fundraiser, host physics related films, and invite celebrated professors in the physics community to speak at Hendrix. T-shirts will be sold for $13 each and expect to make a profit of $360 which will go toward their next building project which they expect to launch at the end of next semester. APPROVED: $2300.00 (with the objective of seeking out cheaper shirts)!
    • Alex will be auditing organizations around mid-November. So use your money wisely! Money should show up in budgets by late Sept/early Oct.
    • FinCom meeting: Sunday at 8:30 pm in the Senate Office!!!
  • Communications Committee with Kristi Vo
    • ComCom meets tomorrow in the Senate Office at 3 pm.
    • We’ll get a big sign for the town crier so people won’t look at him or her as if they are crazy. Great job last Friday, Fraser!
  • Committee on Committees with Nick Balée
    • Jordan Downey for the SLC position. Blake Stroud as an alternate. APPROVED!
    • Committee on Curriculum is looking for an alternate. 
  • Executive Committee with BJ Fogleman
    • We need 3 students for College Judicial Council (CJC), which is now the College Conduct Council (CCC). Senate moves in to executive session… and the approved students will be contacted.

VI. Unfinished Business

VII. New Business

  • Bob Fureigh is looking for an election commission. If you are interested, e-mail Bob at FureighRW@hendrix.edu!!!

VIII. Adjournment until September 16th, 2008 

Clean up:  Off-Campus, Apartments, Houses