Tuesday September 2, 2008
6:30 p.m. Mills Library
I. Call to Order
II. Special Business
III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns
- Galloway was wondering when filing would be for senator (see below)
- Trash can needed outside of Couch Hall.
- Thursday at the forum: come talk about Shirttails!
- Funding the NY times? Fraser knows… he’ll handle it!
- Welcome Jim Wiltgen and Karla Carney-Hall!
IV. Departmental Liaison Reports
V. Committee Reports
- Multicultural Development Committee with Ronni Laizure
- Social Committee with Lin Poff
- Lin needs to know whether we’ll be able to amend the elections commission procedures to have a committee ready for Faux Rush Week since only execs are on SoCo right now. Amending the procedures to allow SoCo to have their full committee would be to open filing now and have campaigning throughout the week and elections the following Tuesday. Motions were made for the current election rules to be suspended for this special situation, and it passes.
- Faux Rush Week kicks off with Van Wilder in the Burrow at 8:00 p.m. on Monday! Individual dorms are a team, winner takes $500! Show up for events, sign your name, and get points for your dorm! Easy breezy.
- Tuesday: Northside Rush, 4-6
- Wednesday: Sadie Hawkins Dance/Apple pie baking contest! Mabee Center 8-11
- Thursday: Southside Rush, 4-6 (Capture the flag... and lots of other fun events!)
- Friday: Lip sync off! Winner receives 250 points… more rules and regulations to come. Be on the look out!
- Saturday: FOAM PARTY! 9:00 pm Brick Pit, rain location: Hulen Ballroom. Come for a wet and wild time!
- Volunteer Action Committee with Larnie Campbell
- Media Committee with Fraser Holmes
- OK GO! Had a good time this past Saturday. Thanks for coming out! Shirts are in from the concert. If you didn’t pre-order, you can still probably get one for $10! Visit the sunporch this week.
- Profile comes out on the 12th of September. That’s soon!!! Opinions? E-mail Fraser Holmes or Jordan Frazin.
- Yearbooks from 2007 (when seniors were sophomores) are out!!! Pick them up this week. You already paid for it. They’ll probably be out at the sunporch soon. Look out!
- Campus Kitty with Alex Graddy-Reed
- Applications are available September 12. Pick one up at the Senate Wall! (They’ll be located in a manila folder saying CAMPUS KITTY APPLICATIONS.) Apply and be a part of one of the most philanthropic organizations on campus!
- September 25: Kitty Runs Wild! Come run a 5K for charity all around campus!
- Environmental Concerns Committee with Wendell Cathcart and Katherine Roehm
- Green Team=success. Educating freshmen on what they can be a part of to help their environment.
- During the move in period, 2700 pounds of cardboard has been recycled!!! Great job.
- Tomorrow, Wednesday, September 3, will be the first ECC meeting. Come and find out how to be environmentally friendly and help conserve your resources!
- Documentary coming up on Monday, Sept. 15th!
- Petit Jean retreat coming soon.
- Glass recycling to be reinstated soon. We’ll keep you posted!
- Academic Policy with Samantha Bode
- Student and Academic Concerns Committee with Jayce Hafner and Samantha Bode
- Applications for the student internship program will be out within the next two weeks! Be on the look out.
- Finance Committee with Alex Graddy-Reed
- Fall allocations will be in your accounts within the next 3 or 4 weeks.
- Tax sheets and etc. need to be turned in to Alex by TONIGHT or you won’t get paid.
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes Proposal: FCA came last semester with a budget proposal, but it looked like there was already $4000 in their account. However, this money was set aside for scholarships (which do not go to Hendrix students) that the FCA members cannot access. FCA has an annual Bob Courtway breakfast that collects the money for these scholarships. Thus, the Hendrix chapter of FCA has no money for events that they have planned for this year. There were disputes over funding the member T-shirts. FinCom will take a look at it at a later date, but for now, the proposal PASSED: $2530!
- Communications Committee with Kristi Vo
- Monthly rotating location of the senate meetings among residence halls (and possibly the Murphy House?)! Probably starting next month. Look out for the next location and come join the fun!
- KHDX requests a “senate rundown” for DJs to update their listeners on.
- Town crier resumes soon!
- Committee on Committees with Nick Balée
- Lara Assaf is abroad, and we need another student to fill her position on the Student Life Committee. E-mail Nick if you’re interested! BaleeNB@hendrix.edu
- Not accepting anymore applications for SLC beyond Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
- Executive Committee with BJ Fogleman
- Filing/election/application process being worked on for another student to be on the Board of Trustees.
- Internship program: 4 or 5 offices are interested in helping out and offering a variety of positions. This will help build bonds with faculty and staff among students.
VI. Unfinished Business
- There have been apartment issues at the beginning of the year when Hendrix bought Huntington. Concerns have been brought to Jim and Karla, and they appreciate it. If you have any more concerns, please speak with your senator.
- Constitutional review committee has not forgotten their work, but will resume when they can meet and will hopefully have something by December.
- Council on Residence Life died? We’ll see if CRL is still necessary and see what we can do.
VII. New Business
- Filing for Galloway and Freshman senators will open TONIGHT. E-mail Bob Fureigh if you’re interested!
- SoCo filing officially opens tonight too. More detail soon. E-mail Bob Fureigh! FureighRW@hendrix.edu
VIII. Adjournment until September 9th, 2008
Clean up: Martin, Hardin, Couch